DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Hi,
Prestolite motor MTC-4001 uses (8) brushes part #MGP-12*. "*" would be replaced with letter designation for the grade. I forget that but recall they are grade H100 by Morganite. The size is .997×.548×~1-3/8"long. Service replacement part number may be different. Forklift parts/repair places should have suitable brushes because size was used on so many forktrucks. eBay sometimes has them.
Unusual they would wear out from normal use. What's the application?
Regards,
major

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Prestolite motor MTC-4001 uses (8) brushes part #MGP-12*. "*" would be replaced with letter designation for the grade. I forget that but recall they are grade H100 by Morganite. The size is .997×.548×~1-3/8"long. Service replacement part number may be different. Forklift parts/repair places should have suitable brushes because size was used on so many forktrucks. eBay sometimes has them.
Unusual they would wear out from normal use. What's the application?
Regards,
major
Thanks for the info.
They’re not worn out, I just bought a NOS motor and several of the brushes were bonded to the commutator and the brush holders. When I removed them several pieces were pulled off, so I figured I would replace them all and somehow get the carbon off the commutator.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
To remove carbon/graphite stuck to comm try a seating stone.
Brush Seater
Actually a shaping stone. Will help new brushes to seat faster. Seating requires running while passing current. Can do with no-load at 12V. Watch RPM. Stay below 6000. Around 3000 good for break-in period.
major

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll give it a try. Is putting the armature in a lathe and using emory cloth on the commutator a bad idea?
Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts