DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have seen various conversations on American car programs. Unfortunately I don’t think I have seen any Parts lists. Neither have I seen Any Budgets that seem in any way possible for most of us to even consider. It would be great to see or read about a build at the lowest possible ££ end of the spectrum! I’m ok with the petrol Motors, Wiring looms and even populating miniature circuit boards. It would be great to read whoever had the lowest possible build explaining component sourcing, is it better to buy a complete conversion kit from the USA? I don’t know enough about this subject to just buy parts from random places

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi everyone, I have seen various conversations on American car programs. Unfortunately I don’t think I have seen any Parts lists. Neither have I seen Any Budgets that seem in any way possible for most of us to even consider. It would be great to see or read about a build at the lowest possible ££ end of the spectrum! I’m ok with the petrol Motors, Wiring looms and even populating miniature circuit boards. It would be great to read whoever had the lowest possible build explaining component sourcing, is it better to buy a complete conversion kit from the USA? I don’t know enough about this subject to just buy parts from random places
Hey Tiarna, I have been working on a budget as I go, and I am also using it to help me keep track of what I still need to get. I am not sure what you consider to be a reasonable budget, but it is going to depend a lot on what you are trying to do. I think the most important thing is for an EV conversion to be a project about learning things. You cannot expect to convert a car if you do not understand every component forwards and backwards. This answers the second part, too; you dont know enough about the subject, YET. If you do not want to spend the time doing the homework, then just buy a used leaf. I saw one on craigslist here for 2500$. Yeah, the battery was at 50% SOH, yeah, it only goes 30 miles (on a warm day), but shit, that is hands down the cheapest way to drive electric.

Anyway, here is my budget

I will be lucky to end under 15k USD, which would have bought me a whole fleet of used leafs to burn through. However, I will hopefully have a somewhat capable electric pickup (75-100 mile range if I am lucky). And I will be able to say I learned something. There would certainly be ways to do it cheaper, but time really is money. I will be happy if I have it rolling in 18 months, start to finish.

·
Administrator
6,293 Posts
Doing it on the cheap!!
My car - on our front page - cost about $8000 all up including all the "car bits"

The OLD cheap way - DC motor - cheap, powerful but unsophisticated
Forklift motor ---$150
Controller -------$600
Battery - from a Chevy Volt - $2000
Charger - I got a second hand BRUSA for $600
Various other bits - $1000

My car happily blows away almost all of the other cars at our annual drag races and is great fun on the track as well as fun road car

The NEW cheap way
Buy a crashed production EV
Something like a Leaf - use all of the EV bits

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cost really comes down to your goals. My RWD Tesla CRX conversion is far from cheap but a lot comes to things I didn't have to do.

Tesla SDU $3000
LG Chem Batteries x 12 ~ $10000

Plus I am adding
Electric Power Steering, Bosch iBooster, A/C, Chademo, Battery cooling, Converted a FWD to RWD

But you can also pretty much achieve an electrified conversion for $5k if your goals are low. Used DC motor, chevy volt pack etc. (richrebuilds and damien maguire have shown this time and time again on youtube.)

Damien's 1k Euro E36 BMW conversion playlist. He and a few of his co contributors are responsible for a large portion of the hacked tesla, toyota and other OEM things out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts