DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

New to the forum but excited to be here!!

I guess I actually have a couple build ideas I'd love to do
so I'll explain my goals and hopefully get some ideas
but also hopefully not get to ahead of myself at the same time
as there's a proper order to doing things

So first off, I'm still very new to EV
I've loved the idea of it for a long time
and looked at buying one for quite a while now
but I never bit the bullet to do it

I come from a performance background
I've built many high powered JZ and RB engines
way to many sr20s
and currently building a 1000WHP E85 2011 WRX Hatch (Which I'm still excited for)

All that is good and fine
but I'm also finishing up my degree in molecular cellular biology
with plans to persue higher education (I'm a little behind on the degree thing, I was sick/still am sick for quite a few years, but thats a story in itself)
But I want to help people
that's my end game
And it just hit me one day that by building all these fast fuel burning vehicles and damaging the planet
Than I'd be doing the opposite

So my end goal for electric is to show the people around here (we have a decent drift community)
That electric can be as fun and awesome as an ls1 or inline 6 turbo

The Ideas-----(Finally after that long story lol)

I have a 1993 RX7 shell I've sat on for years waiting to think of what I wanted to put in it
it was originally going to be an L92 6.2 Aluminum V8
That is no longer the plan
I would like for it to be a drift/track vehicle
gutted and caged
ford 8.8 rear
CD009 transmission

The motor will of course have to be able to bolt to the trans, so it will need an adapter plate
and the motor will have length restrictions while still having to make around 350hp/350ftlbs

I need controller/motor/battery ideas
I've seen the AMR engines, but recently saw the BW hvh250 that also has a remy core, could it be used at a lower cost?

But this of course is a horrible introductory project
I want to do it, but it's not a starting point, I'd still love ideas though

My starting point vehicles are

A Nissan Titan
They're reasonable priced for a good looking truck that can tow a car and trailer
And that's what I would want it to do, is be able to tow a car trailer with a 2800-3000 lb car on it

what would be some good motor combos for this
theres not a length restriction so much for this vehicle like the RX7

It would also need range extension (Can you use the Chevy Volt range extender, or are there better options? I tried looking but maybe I'm searching the wrong way)

I've seen the warp 11 dual setup and that seems like it would be a good combo for something like this?

Are there other options that may be better for around the same or less?
(It wouldn't be lifted or anything crazy, just a stock titan to tow a car)

Finally just a 98 Impreza coupe
just something cheap to daily
would need to retain the stock manual trans for AWD purposes
but doesn't need to be fast at all
just space restrictions

would also love range extension just in case

but this one would also be a good starting point build I feel

But just looking for ideas and direction

I'm reading as many threads as I can and I love the amount of info out here :)
But just seeing what some people may think

But thank you for your guys time and I look forward to the ideas!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
The list of potential vehicles looks bizarre at first, because they are so different, but I understand that you are considering a few different types of conversion, and those are the specific vehicles that you would use for each type.

My concern is that at least the RX7 for drifting and the Titan for towing are examples of very high power consumption, which is the most expensive and difficult type of conversion. The truck is the worst, because to be useful the high power demand goes on for a long period, so you need to carry a very large amount of energy in the battery.

I think it would make sense to get a good understanding of how much power and energy you need, then look at the cost and size of both motors at that power and batteries at that energy... and consider whether or not these are reasonable starting projects.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
The Impreza would be a more practical conversion... until you "range extension", which means making it into a plug-in series hybrid. That's a serious challenge in weight, packaging, cost, and efficiency.

"Range extension" for the truck is also difficult. No, I don't think that a Chevrolet Volt is a very useful starting point: it has a multi-mode hybrid powertrain - very similar to a Prius but a little more complex - which wouldn't drop into the truck in any rational way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The list of potential vehicles looks bizarre at first, because they are so different, but I understand that you are considering a few different types of conversion, and those are the specific vehicles that you would use for each type.

My concern is that at least the RX7 for drifting and the Titan for towing are examples of very high power consumption, which is the most expensive and difficult type of conversion. The truck is the worst, because to be useful the high power demand goes on for a long period, so you need to carry a very large amount of energy in the battery.

I think it would make sense to get a good understanding of how much power and energy you need, then look at the cost and size of both motors at that power and batteries at that energy... and consider whether or not these are reasonable starting projects.

Awesome! All good info
I'm more or less just trying to get a good starting point
I know they're weird lol I currently own the impreza coupe and rx7
so that's why i mention those

The rx7 is just a shell
and the impreza blew the engine

I'm trying to learn as much as I can every day
and everything is very interesting
definitely a little more complex than an ICE

If I was to build a titan though which engine would be a good choice?
I guess I would need a good battery setup to support it because of the weight and load of course like you mentioned

1 - 4 of 4 Posts