DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine wants to upgrade his 48V golf cart from lead to lithium & I suggested to get some Chevy Volt modules.

So, looking around I came across a pack from a 2014 Chevy Volt for ~$1,500.00
...but, the donor car had ~104,000 mi. on it

What kind of capacity, would the lithium pack, in a car with this many miles on it have left?

Thinkin' about it/doin' some research, a 2014 Volt is advertised as getting ~38 miles on electric before the gas engine kicks in
...so, 104,000 miles divided by 38 miles would be ~2,736 discharge/charge cycles

I know these lithium packs usually are good for 2,000 - 3,000 discharge/charge cycles
...but, what kinda life would these modules have left?

Then, I've seen other packs advertised as coming from cars with ~60K miles on them (~$2,500.00)
...but, once it's removed from the car, they could be selling you/us whatever they have sitting on the shelf

How could someone know for sure, what their getting?
...or even be able to check anything more than the sitting voltage, with a MM, while @ the "scrap yard" before buying a used pack?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I would never rely on the reported history to guesstimate.

Cap test allowed or walk, unless the price is so low you don't mind risking a very short lifespan, like under 10% of equivalent new price.

Then again many are wealthy, and/or much less risk-averse than me

·
Registered
6 Posts
A friend of mine wants to upgrade his 48V golf cart from lead to lithium & I suggested to get some Chevy Volt modules.

So, looking around I came across a pack from a 2014 Chevy Volt for ~$1,500.00
...but, the donor car had ~104,000 mi. on it

What kind of capacity, would the lithium pack, in a car with this many miles on it have left?

Thinkin' about it/doin' some research, a 2014 Volt is advertised as getting ~38 miles on electric before the gas engine kicks in
...so, 104,000 miles divided by 38 miles would be ~2,736 discharge/charge cycles

I know these lithium packs usually are good for 2,000 - 3,000 discharge/charge cycles
...but, what kinda life would these modules have left?

Then, I've seen other packs advertised as coming from cars with ~60K miles on them (~$2,500.00)
...but, once it's removed from the car, they could be selling you/us whatever they have sitting on the shelf

How could someone know for sure, what their getting?
...or even be able to check anything more than the sitting voltage, with a MM, while @ the "scrap yard" before buying a used pack?
I own a Volt and have spent a lot of time the researching the failure modes of these batteries. My opinion is the general degradation of these packs at 100k miles is very very low and if the car was scrapped due to the drive battery it will almost certainly be a single cell group (1 of 96) or the temperature sensors. Most likely split into 48V packs these would have !5 KWh capacity or better

1 - 3 of 3 Posts