DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at a locally available wrecked 2012 Volt. The entire front right wheel and suspension assembly was torn out of it.

We put 12v to the system and it booted up the dash and info center. It has 88k miles on it. The codes it was throwing are what you would expect after a wreck. Airbags deployed, brake fluid low, etc. Nothing about the high voltage system. The battery showed 22 miles of range left. The drivers side was undamaged, but the passenger side was messed up all the way down. The charger (located front passenger side) was missing and the connectors to it were damaged. I don't have any need for the motor. Is the electric transmission worth using?

What kind of value does this have? Are these older Volt batteries worth using in a project?

I've been driving a Volt since 2015, but building a project EV is all new stuff to me.

·
Administrator
6,106 Posts
Volt batteries are superb for projects

You can usually get an older volt battery for about $2000

Not sure what else would be worth having

·
Registered
966 Posts
The Volt motor and drivetrain are harder to re-use piece meal
But the battery and charger are excellent for a conversion

If the front end weren’t trashed you could use the entire Volt as a skateboard to put a new body on, leave it fully OEM thinking it’s a Volt.
But with a bad half shaft likely not worth salvaging

As an example
This guy keeps pushing out conversions
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hybrid-hot-rod-2-0-pria-ghia-36697.html

His PRIUCK is up for sale

·
Registered
947 Posts
Volt batteries are superb for projects

You can usually get an older volt battery for about $2000

Not sure what else would be worth having
Mainly DCDC and inverter are good stuff.
Charger if it didnt bought the farm...
There are some water pumps that are good but they are run by PWM signal not true 12V.
AC compressor is run by CAN.
I still cant run the water heater though by SW CAN bus.

Oh and electrical steering rack... though its bolt holes are weirdly positioned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I may pass on this one. It's a good deal, but I just have too many irons in the fire right now to deal with disassembly and storage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts