DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the A123 AMP20 Prismatic Pouch AMP20M1HD-A cells be charged with 4C?

The A123 page contains very little information:
http://www.a123systems.com/products-cells-prismatic-pouch-cell.htm

Nowhere I can find a datasheet of them, can someone point me to one?

I only found a page of a German shop:
http://shop.lipopower.de/A123-Systems-AMP20M1HD-A-20Ah-Folienzelle
which suggests it can only be charged to a of 1C (20A), which would be strange and disappointing, as the cylindrical A123 cells can be charged with 4C.

So can the AMP20 be charged with 4C (80A) or not?

What is their internal resistance?

Does someone here have them, and can tell me how they perform in comparison to the cylindrical A123 cells?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just a few days ago, these were priced at $41.00, nearly. Now $51.00, nearly ???

Couple of guys at ES Forums have ordered a couple for samples, and had confirmation.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
They've had ORDERS confirmed, but no one has seen anything yet, from what I can tell. I've been following this closely.

I'd be careful, wait for someone else to jump first.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know, but if they are they're about to get a lot of business. People have been looking for a legit source for these things for a long while.
Well, this German shop has them too: http://shop.lipopower.de/A123-Systems-AMP20M1HD-A-20Ah-Folienzelle but at more then twice the price. They even offer "selected" cells by internal resistance measurement for a little extra money. But nowhere it is written what the internal resistance actually is, and what is the threshold for a cell in the more expensive "selected cell".

·
Registered
370 Posts
The the only thing that seems weird is that these things are made here in Michigan. Why can't you buy them from a US based distributor if A123 is finally allowing their sale to the general public?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
370 Posts
As far as I know A123 doesn't produce any of their batteries in China. I think there's a plant in Taiwan that produces primarily cylindrical cells and they may have a small pilot plant in it where they developed the prismatic cells, but the production prismatics are nearly all made at the plant in Michigan, and if they're finally producing enough to start selling them to retailers that's probably where they came from.

The plant in Michigan has a production capacity of 600MW a year and primarily makes the prismatics. The plant in Taiwan has a 160MW capacity and primarily produces cylindrical cells. It would made sense though if they are finally selling them to people though; since the Michigan plant should be near full production according the to the information they released on that plants scheduled ramp up.

Oh and if you are still wondering about the max continuous charge current ask around on endless sphere. Different people there bought a pallets worth of cells that cellman was able to get though back channels and as far as I know they are genuine; because a bunch of people put them through their paces.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you carefully examine the site, it's all [email protected]

Stock images for everything. Likely cobbled up in a Guangzhou closet.
Wait for an email reply, check the headers for the origin.

Nothing more, nothing less. Amusing either way. One or two sample parts might be shipped, check the date code!
Any volume purchase will require a bank wire or Western union :D
We love you long time roundeye.

I can assure you there is no involvement with A123Systems Inc.

Their skidmarks can be seen, although it's normally masked from public view:

Domain Name: A123RC.COM
Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC.
Whois Server: whois.wildwestdomains.com
Referral URL: http://www.wildwestdomains.com
Name Server: NS25.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Name Server: NS26.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Updated Date: 10-mar-2010
Creation Date: 10-mar-2010
Expiration Date: 10-mar-2020

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stock images for everything. Likely cobbled up in a Guangzhou closet.
Wait for an email reply, check the headers for the origin.
Nevertheless I ordered one, will report if I get anything. Anybody else here ordered anything from that shop and got something?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As far as I know A123 doesn't produce any of their batteries in China. I think there's a plant in Taiwan that produces primarily cylindrical cells and they may have a small pilot plant in it where they developed the prismatic cells, but the production prismatics are nearly all made at the plant in Michigan, and if they're finally producing enough to start selling them to retailers that's probably where they came from.
What about this:

Image from http://www.myjidian.com/offerdetail/2010150.html

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've been following this myself and have sent out several emails to confirm if they are legit. It seems at the moment they are, offering paypal is very encouraging. If it turns out to be true I'd organizing a group buy. For anyone interested I may have also sourced the ahr32157 10AH cells as well.

·
Registered
514 Posts
When, How much ?

Id like to participate in a group buy, but first id like to buy 10 samples or so to see whether it fits expectations.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
If I can get a sample (I can buy one), I can throw it on my CBA-II and CC400 discharger to test anything from 0 to about 8C. Its not high discharge, but it'l give a good solid constant current discharge current and temperature.

I'm interested to see if these are legit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I did get confirmation that these are a legitimate 20ah a123 cells. I've heard back from one of the people I emailed and they are quoting in quantities of 500 at $43/cell + shipping to my business address. I still am waiting on the other quotes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I did get confirmation that these are a legitimate 20ah a123 cells. I've heard back from one of the people I emailed and they are quoting in quantities of 500 at $43/cell + shipping to my business address. I still am waiting on the other quotes.
Nothing new to report. Apparently there is a holiday in China right now,(Tomb Sweeping), so I'm waiting for that to end. Several of the emails I sent came back with that response.
Has anyone else found anything?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts