DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the two drive motors out of the donor fork truck last night. Can anyone tell me about them? Are they worth using? 8"x12.5", 2 of them, one is supposedly "bad" with no further explanation as to what is wrong with it. One has a data plate, one just has stampings in the case. How much voltage can I put to these safely? Is it worth it to run two motors paralleled or would one be strong enough? The repower is a 1978-1979 F250 4x4 flatbed. Looking for 45-50 mph and range of 20 miles (52 miles in a dream world). All this will be home grown DIY style, lol. I'm new to EV's but not wrenching. Thanks for tge input.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Nameplate says 36v and 164 amps. Can't read what it says for kW.

36*164 = 6000 watts.

They're probably series-wound DC motors, but it'd be good to check. You could tell by the size of the wires on the armateur (spinning part) and field (stationary coils on the case). If they're both thick (like, 1/2" wide, 1/8" thick copper flat bar "wires"), then it's a Series-Wound. If one is a difference size than the other, it'll be Shunt or SepEx DC. The fact that it has an RPM listed actually makes me suspicious that it's not Series (series-wound DC motors have no default max speed at any voltage).

As with everyone else, you ignore the voltage on the plate and give it whatever you want, at least a hundred volts, maybe more. You'll have to rotate the brush plate a bit to prevent arcing (look up "brush rotation").

An 8" motor is nowhere near powerful enough for a 1-ton truck. If you're set on this pair, you'll be using both and tying the shafts together head-to-tail or, somehow stacking their output with a chain or belt.

Find out more about the motor wires first I suggest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts