DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Converting gasoline car to EV. looking for some guidance how to interface new system (motor/Controller, Airconds, BMS) with the stock ECU.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm using an arduino. The hardware to interface with CAN has cost $30usd. Arduino software is free and i have found a variety of CANbus PC software for sniffing and interacting with CAN stuff for free, downloaded one at random and am yet to test it.

Arduino seems one of the best means for an amateur to start programming. Rasberry Pi and there may be others are also options but arduino was where i arrived without much thought. there may be benefits/ pitfals to arduino/others, god knows what they are. i chose it because it has a large community, a fairly easy to start learning structure and many many sample codes to use/ hijack for my purpose.

I have read some criticisms that its not reliable. I dont know how true that is. I trust that it is sufficient, but maybe not perfect, I will persist with it for the time being until i know more or know better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It depends on your needs and skill level. Do you have any electronics or programming experience?

Arduino is a good entry-level platform, but has somewhat limited capabilities (inputs/processing power). I/O can be expanded via expansion boards, but you're still limited by the microcontroller, so it's best suited for simple tasks, which may be appropriate depending on what you're wanting to do (for instance, reading a speed sensor and translating that onto a can bus to control a speedometer is simple enough). A bonus is Arduino makes it really easy to get up and running if you don't have much software development experience.

When I do a swap, I'll probably use a beaglebone black for the brain. It's got two built in CAN bus interfaces and significantly more processing power and memory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey,

just wanted to point out that an Arduino and a Raspberry Pi may look similar but they're not the same.

"An Arduino is a microcontroller motherboard. A microcontroller is a simple computer that can run one program at a time, over and over again."

"A Raspberry Pi is a general-purpose computer, usually with a Linux operating system, and the ability to run multiple programs."

I'm currently looking into building a simplified Tesla-like board computer (not having a donor car or any other parts yet :rolleyes:). So far I discovered AutoPi and Carberry. Not exactly what I want/need but I thought I share them anyway...

When I do a swap, I'll probably use a beaglebone black for the brain. It's got two built in CAN bus interfaces and significantly more processing power and memory.
Interesting, thank you! I will have a look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts