DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Drives me nuts, who wants to sit down listen for xy minutes.

Just post the info, as in write it in the post, 10 sec scan, done!

·
Super Moderator
1,381 Posts
Drives me nuts, who wants to sit down listen for xy minutes.

Just post the info, as in write it in the post, 10 sec scan, done!
Yeah, I'm with you. 10 minute video can be summarized in something you can read in 10 seconds.

A close second is to play it at 2x speed, takes a few seconds for your brain to get used to the lack of pauses between words, but, most of the time you can keep up.

Summary:

- You have to put a phone number on it for hazardous compliance, "for more information call". If anyone from FAA (aviation?, air shipping presumably) calls that number, and you don't answer on their first attempt to get a hold of you, it's $75,000 fine and/or 5 years in prison, first time, even if you're just an individual.

- If you search "Lithium Battery Phone Monitoring" (the guy didn't even remember the company name) you can pay an amount every year, and use their number, which they guarantee to answer, to comply with that.

- You can get certified to handle these things, renew it once a year, but Fedex/etc changes their rules every few months so it's frustrating.

- Shipping advice changes soon after you give it, so it's hard to give good advice.

- Everything with FedEx has to go through a "ShipSafe" program, where you can do the hazmat stuff.

They kind of didn't say much useful other than, that it's risky. They didn't mention quantities, they didn't talk about air vs. ground, typical Jehu blog. Lots of chatter, semi-clickbait, not a lot of content, occasional tidbit of useful info you have to wade through to find out.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've just used freight trucks, $150-250 gets you pretty much anywhere lower 48. Obviously only for 200+ AH at a time, but I don't deal less than that at a time anyway.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Lots of chatter, semi-clickbait, not a lot of content, occasional tidbit of useful info you have to wade through to find out.
Tom (the recycler) who was 'interviewed' by Jehu is the guy behind many of the ebay battery ads and has a lot of experience shipping batteries legally. You may not like the style but I'd recommend you take notice of the content because this is a big issue for anyone interested in DIY conversions.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Yes, just state lithium batteries. I am piggybacking of a friend's business who does regular business with freight brokers.

Uship is usually pretty competitive though.

Will be (a lot) more if either end is not "a*business" with a loading dock or forklift.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FAA Proposes Record $1.1M Fine for Shipment of Lithium Batteries (here)

"In what should be a wake-up call for companies that ship lithium batteries, the U.S. Transportation Department’s Federal Aviation Administration (“FAA”) recently levied a $1.1 million civil penalty for alleged violations of DOT shipping regulations. According to the FAA, on June 1, 2016, a Florida-based battery distribution company offered four shipments of 24-volt lithium batteries to FedEx for air transport. One of the batteries is alleged to have caught fire while being transported on a FedEx truck after having been shipped on an aircraft, destroying the truck. FAA contends that the shipped batteries failed both UN and U.S. testing standards, were not equipped to prevent reverse current flow, and were improperly packaged. FAA also alleges that the company did not provide proper training to its employees."

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just haven't seen any of these issues while shipping Chevy Volt complete and partial battery sections, along with a few Nissan Leaf modules. I have used Yellow Freight, R&J Shippers for receiving and shipping. Also, Fed/Ex, UPS and the infamous US Postal Service. ALL my shipping/receiving was done as a private citizen. Used the shippers terminals. There was a Truckers Assn. number that had to be entered, and, I was ALWAYS charged more once that was done.

UPS and Fed/Ex both have (sometimes)? stick on labels stating Lithium battery. Postal Service just wrote on their label, battery. Only question was how many were in the package. I was told a total of 4 batteries were allowed. Largeset package was 1-48v (45v Nom), sometimes a total of 3 modules/pkgs to one buyer, and 4 Leaf Modules (4 cell module) and sometimes 2 pkgs total.

I sent Volt modules to Calgary Canada twice and once to Toronto and once to Quebec, besides to several states, ALL these were shipped to/from East Coast Central Florida.

My prices were always a better buy than Nevada or Ebay, because I only bought verified mileage, and 2015 or newer year model. I pretty much quit after buyers wanting cheaper shipping and lower prices. All my buyers wrote back with compliments about times, packaging and conversations.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I just haven't seen any of these issues while shipping Chevy Volt complete and partial battery sections, along with a few Nissan Leaf modules.
I pretty much quit after buyers wanting cheaper shipping and lower prices.
Could it be that your experience is out of date? We've certainly seen a lot more shippers in Europe declining battery shipments and it's hard to imagine that the recent FAA court case won't have an impact in the US.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My last shipment was in October of 2017, so, not severely out of date ?

I live in Costa Rica and was offering batteries for POSSIBLE sale before buying. Then, would go to Florida and visit family and dismantle and ship.

I offered previous buyer comments if needed to potential customers but, never asked for pre-payment. Took all the risk myself of buying then selling, same as I am attempting to do for the Nissan Leaf Coupler thread I have running.

I agree there are new rules popping up all the time, especially from the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

A LOT of this mis-information is from Customer Service of shipping companies. I went over heads of 3 myself, to get the correct info from the top, then, dropped names to the Customer Service personnel as to where I got my correct info.

The guy in Nevada might be correct in what he says. That company told customers that I sold to, after the fact, that they could NOT ship to Canada. I only know what I went through over a 3 year period.

This whole deal is about the shit Chinese batteries, especially those damn stupid 2 wheel ass busters that burst into flames, just like the stupid e-cigarettes that blow up in faces and pockets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts