DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
i need some help.
Do any of you guys have experience with setting up and using a canbus network in a car that connects all major components (controller and chargers) and that can be monitored and programmed from an android device?
What hardware and software are you using?

Thanks for helping!
Bart

·
Registered
205 Posts
Interesting question! I am definitely going to follow this topic.
Myself I have similar intentions.

Recently I have added my project to Github what I called ev-peripherals
It started as an Arduino project to control the speed of my Pierburg pumps.
Later on I added the idea of a remote control/monitor with my iPhone using Blynk. Have a working prototype of that but not yet integrated in the project just mentioned.
I must mention that I am not an experienced programmer so I need to and will either involve or hire someone to improve my coding in the end. I like the challenge of getting it to work but cannot develop 'production' quality.

Another idea is to add CAN-BUS functionality by using some kind of Arduino CAN-shield. I then want to take the Voltage and Current from CAN messages from the BMS and combine it with a speed signal of the GPS on the Arduino. That allows me to calculate energy consumption (in Wh/km) and broadcast that as a CAN message ultimately to be shown on a CAN display.
I want this to be a reporting and supporting functionality only.
I don't want my project to manage anything in terms of charger control or anywhere near inputs for the controller, etc. For example charger control I want my BMS and EVCC to take care of that.
But if I understand your question correctly that is what you are after in the end.
so to summarise: I'll be using an Arduino + GRPS shield + Blynk + CAN shield
And I am also looking forward to hearing what approaches others are taking.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts