DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Car Title Question for Louisiana

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  GerhardRP 
#1 ·
Ok, I have a car title question for Louisiana.

I bought a 1971 VW Bug off of ebay on July 18 and went down to Louisiana to pick it up on August 7.

It's been four months and I have been able to get the guy to send title.

So...I hired a Private Investigator to track him down. I sent the Private Investigator the Bill of Sale and the form for Duplicate Title for the guy to sign. No such luck.

Looks like I can file suit in Justice of the Peace court. Is it worth the effort or am I stuck with a yard ornament?

#5 ·
You may be able to register the car as assembled from parts (salvage) since you bought the body and chassis as two separate transactions. Check with the DMV in your to see what they need to do so. Usually, it involves showing the receipts/bills of sale for the parts, an inspection by the police/Hwy patrol to ensure all the safety equipment (lights, horn, signals, etc.) is installed and an signed affidavit that you built the vehicle from parts.

#4 ·
Are you able to get the vehicle inspected and then re-registered?

We have different rules over here but I am hoping you don't end up with a costly ornament after legal fees.

Could you get a really cheap dead bug that has legal title and 'rebuild it' with the good frame and body that you have?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.