DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First post so hope it's in the right place...

I've recently purchased an electric tilting trike with a limited top speed of 30 mph. I'm on a mission to upgrade so I'm doing my research...

The Carver comes with 2 x Kelly KLS-6022 HC controllers which I'm hoping is good news. The two original hub motors are 2kw each. My question (first of many) is:

Are these controllers capable of powering a 6kw motor?

I don't yet know the battery voltage. All I know is that it's a 5.4kwh pack made from LiFePO4 cells.

Thanks in advance,

N.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
According to the spec that I found online, the Kelly KLS-6022H is rated for 72 V (nominal) and up to 88 A continuous or 220 A for a few seconds. At 72 V, 88 A corresponds to 6.4 kW, so the controllers are likely adequate, but you really should look at detailed motor specs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Brian,

Thank you for your response. I can see how you've worked that out - very useful. So, I need to find out the battery configuration and output so I can get an idea of what it's capable of. I'm tempted to upgrade the battery too but would rather a stepped approach rather than trying to do too much at once.

If the battery a different voltage it may force my hand:

48Vx88A = 4.2kW
52Vx88A = 4.5kW

Having said that I assume if I put in 6kW motors it will still work but I just won't be able to utilize the full power?

Thanks again,

Best Regards, N.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts