DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought this neat electric truck that sounds like a knock off condom.

Im hoping to find some info on the battery type and do some maintenance.

Also if possible remove the speed limiter.

This vehicle will be used on a farm/dirt road area with some decent grades.

Thanks all! Glad to see a active forum for this stuff. Mostly a jeep guy Myself

Attachments

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Take the speed limiter off and it's no longer road legal:

"
The Metro is classified under North America the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) as a Low Speed Vehicles (LSV). The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) under rule 571.500 Standard No. 500 defines a Low-speed vehicle: 'Low-speed vehicle means a 4-wheeled motor vehicle, other than a truck, whose speed attainable in 1.6 km (1 mile) is more than 32 kilometers per hour (20 miles per hour) and not more than 40 kilometers per hour (25 miles per hour) on a paved level surface.' The NHTSA has ruled that LSV'S can operate on certain roadways, if they meet the 571.500 safety standards and:

A low-speed vehicle may be operated only on streets where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. This does not prohibit a low-speed vehicle from crossing a road or street at an intersection where the road or street has a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour.
A low-speed vehicle must be registered and insured and must display a license plate.
Any person operating a low-speed vehicle must have in his or her possession a valid driver's license.

Metro exceeds the NHTSA safety standards, but there are operational guidelines that apply to the use of the Metro in North America. The States are responsible for the enforcement of Motor Vehicle Laws and the LSV regulations as it applies to the use of the Metro on public highways varies by State."

No reason to believe this one's any different than the Metro.

What "maintenance" do you plan on the battery?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, something is not right with it, the tach says 111miles on it and it doesn't seem to go to full charge. doesn't make it out of my driveway ( decent grade) if they are lead acids i was wondering if they could be low on distilled water like all of the equipment i service at my day job.

this will never be street legal here. at best it will be registered as a farm vehicle.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Federal highway law says it's street legal on roads pisted 35mph and less...state law administers.

They are Lithium ion if it's the same as the Metro. Why not call Cenntro and ask to buy a Service Manual?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Federal highway law says it's street legal on roads pisted 35mph and less...state law administers.

They are Lithium ion if it's the same as the Metro. Why not call Cenntro and ask to buy a Service Manual?
Thanks, i emailed them. Hopefully ill get a reply if not ill call. Most roads near me are dirt and or private. But ill get that figured out. More concerned about checking the health of batteries dated 2017.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
little update. this is for sure a 2017, it has 6- 120ah VRLA gel batteries NOT lithium. i have 6 everstart deep cycles im going to install in the morning and see if anything changes. i already had these batteries for my all electric boat so even though they are only 80ah i figure i will get some result.

the stock batteries only sit at 10.5v after a charge. i added water to them ( 2 gallons total) , but being vrla im guessing that was a waste of time. still going to charge them over night

·
Registered
12 Posts
thanks for the reply, something is not right with it, the tach says 111miles on it and it doesn't seem to go to full charge. doesn't make it out of my driveway ( decent grade) if they are lead acids i was wondering if they could be low on distilled water like all of the equipment i service at my day job.
What you describe, sounds like, unfortunately, if batteries are left discharged for a long period, they may not be able to be recovered by recharging.
This is true for lead acid as well as lithium-ion. Lithium-ion's puff up and chemically destroy themselves if over-discharged. With lead acid, the lead undergoes a crystalization/chemical change that is commonly called 'sulfated' even if that is not 100% technically chemically correct. But you don't get capacity back by simply recharging.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What you describe, sounds like, unfortunately, if batteries are left discharged for a long period, they may not be able to be recovered by recharging.
This is true for lead acid as well as lithium-ion. Lithium-ion's puff up and chemically destroy themselves if over-discharged. With lead acid, the lead undergoes a crystalization/chemical change that is commonly called 'sulfated' even if that is not 100% technically chemically correct. But you don't get capacity back by simply recharging.
I've replaced the batteries with temporary 80 amp hour Marine deep cycle batteries. I only get about 10 miles out of them. I need to figure out if I can use lithium batteries without reprogramming or if I have to stick with large lead acid batteries

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've replaced the batteries with temporary 80 amp hour Marine deep cycle batteries. I only get about 10 miles out of them. I need to figure out if I can use lithium batteries without reprogramming or if I have to stick with large lead acid batteries
What is your local temperature? I was shocked to find out (and pushing my car a quarter mile) that even deep cycle batteries only have about 1/3 of their amp hour rating at 50F. Steep cold weather drop off. The full amp hour rating is typically at 80F !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is your local temperature? I was shocked to find out (and pushing my car a quarter mile) that even deep cycle batteries only have about 1/3 of their amp hour rating at 50F. Steep cold weather drop off. The full amp hour rating is typically at 80F !
Wow! I knew there was a little impact but I didn't realize it would be as much as 1/3. Yeah I've been in the 40f here the last few day.

Either way these batteries I'm using are for my all-electric boat, and I'm going to try to increase the range of this truck so the new batteries need to be more than the original 120ah, or something that i can drain down more than lead acid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
little update. this is for sure a 2017, it has 6- 120ah VRLA gel batteries NOT lithium. i have 6 everstart deep cycles im going to install in the morning and see if anything changes. i already had these batteries for my all electric boat so even though they are only 80ah i figure i will get some result.

the stock batteries only sit at 10.5v after a charge. i added water to them ( 2 gallons total) , but being vrla im guessing that was a waste of time. still going to charge them over night
Yeah, 10.5V nominal is too low for a 12V battery. Possibly if you can isolate the cells so you can charge them individually in an attempt to recover them you'll do better. I had a Ford Think that used 6 12V Lead acid batteries that would refuse to charge as a collective if allowed to drop to below a certain level. I was able to recover them by splitting them up and charging each 12V individually with a good car charger then recombining them in the vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts