DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Elcon PFC 3000 charger has died after several years of good service. I opened it and see/smell definite signs of an overheated component. Trouble shooting and/or repair are beyond my ability.

I want to replace it with the least expensive reliable charger. Charge time is not critical. Up to 24 hours is acceptable. My pack is 44 - 185 Ah Lithium cells. Suggestions including best sources? Used is OK.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I have a Zivan NG3 that is programmed for 22A to the 144V knee, then 18A to 152V, then constant voltage as current drops off. It says 40-cell 22A/160Ah. Buy me some beer and shipping. They can be reprogrammed by Zivan to a different profile in that 144V range.

It is a 230VAC 120V nominal, 22A charger which can be programmed up to 160V.

·
Registered
929 Posts
So they sell LFP specifically, not other LI chemistries.

Charge spec max at 3.6Vpc (per cell)

So 144V termination point sounds like 40S, means in series

If 60Ah units, you say "185Ah" total, then likely 3 strings in parallel,

aka 3P40S, or 40S3P, depending how they're laid out and wired.

If true, and you don't need every last mile of range, stopping charge at 138 - 140V will help the bank last longer.

Any idea what manufacturer those are? Similar to CALB's shape, but haven't seen those in black.

Maybe Sinopoly?

·
Registered
251 Posts
So they sell LFP specifically, not other LI chemistries.

Charge spec max at 3.6Vpc (per cell)

So 144V termination point sounds like 40S, means in series

If 60Ah units, you say "185Ah" total, then likely 3 strings in parallel,

aka 3P40S, or 40S3P, depending how they're laid out and wired.

If true, and you don't need every last mile of range, stopping charge at 138 - 140V will help the bank last longer.

Any idea what manufacturer those are? Similar to CALB's shape, but haven't seen those in black.

Maybe Sinopoly?
Maybe you should try to read the posts from jlanman.
It clearly states that he has 44pcs of CALB CA180FI in a string for a nominal voltage of 144v. The CA180FI has been known to overachieve regarding capacity thereby the 185ah claim from jlanman. So there is no P configuration to talk about. Just 44s LiFePo4.

And yes those cells in the link to lithiumstorage is MOST likely Sinopoly if they have the name SP-LFP200, but you can never be sure......

Best regards.
/Per

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Per the original cell packing sheets the cells are from China Aviation. The 185Ah is from the data on them which is by individual cell. The Lithium storage packing slip calls them 180.

·
Registered
929 Posts
OK, yes bit confused there sorry. CALB is a great maker, one of the best. But that's not what's currently sold at the link you provided. Not that Sinopoly is shabby either, interesting to see a local distributor in the NA market, yay!

Usual nominal per cell is 3.3V, so for 44S that 144V is around "high resting" voltage when 100% full following vendor charge spec.

Some of that is surface charge, discharge say .5% of capacity you'll see a lower resting V, really anything above 3.2Vpc is "functionally full".

CALB I think specs 3.6V as maximum charge voltage, so 158V for 44S. I personally would only use that in normal cycling if fast charging was required, and the charge source capable of hitting a pretty high rate, say over 100A, and without holding CV at all, just "charge to" the setpoint and stop. That would get to within 1-2% of maximum SoC.

For longevity, a lower definition of 100% Full SoC, using lower current rate and a 3.45Vpc CV setpoint is healthier, so 152V for 44S.

Again, no need for CV / Absorb time unless important to get every last mile of range.

If so, the endAmps at .05C will be healthier than .02C which I believe is CALB's spec.

Even the gentlest combination of the above will not be sacrificing more than 6-8% of possible range, but IMO will at least double lifetime cycles.

No CV at all at low C rates in moderate weather, combined with "no leadfoot" driving habits, could IMO allow the bank to last maybe over a decade of daily driving, even defining EoL as 70% SoH.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm concluding purchase of a charger from "Frodus" and will be shipping it to "Electric Conversions" for programming.

Charge time is not a factor; but, range is. Pack life is not a big priority as the vehicle is used infrequently. I'll thus opt for the middle range of your suggestions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts