DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a total noob... How should I charge chevy volt 48v battery modules? What charger to you use?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Hi: regrettably you can't just plug a charger into this thing and go.

Those batteries are high energy density devices. They need to be charged using a BMS to monitor cell voltages and to arrest the charge when any cell goes over-voltage.

The nature of the Volt BMS is unknown to me but well understood by others here, and it has been rather thoroughly smashed so there are devices you can buy which will allow you to use the OEM BMS to monitor charging.

Other than that, it's a matter of staying within the charging limits of the cells. If you're not going to be charging them at more than a small fraction of 1C, you likely don't need cooling while you're charging. There is good advice on other threads (which you can search for) which will give you an idea of what voltages per cell you should stop charging at to be safe and to keep the cells from losing capacity over time if you are going to try to act as your own BMS or are going to buy some 3rd party BMS which needs to have a high voltage per cell cutoff voltage specified. They will also have advice for low voltage cutoff settings for discharge to protect the cells too- the other key thing that a BMS does for you.

Li ion cells are all charged typically on a constant current, then constant voltage, then constant low current (for balancing if used) type of cycle. You can skip the last two steps if you don't mind losing some capacity i.e. by stopping before you're at 100% state of charge (SOC). Staying away from high SOC is also beneficial to reduce the rate at which the capacity of the cells will fade over time.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hello

I a NOT an expert but, I have done some research into the Chevy Volt batteries

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/2kw-volt-battery-bms-charging-questions-190594.html

Getting to the point 'er your question

Here is an Elcon charger that can be used on the Volt batteries.

http://evcomponents.com/elcon-tc-hk-h-1800w-charger.html

There are a few details unique to these batteries

The most important one IMHO is the fact that these batteries are actually 45V nominal (average voltage) not 48V

I think that's the main problem when folks had over charging issues

They were just using standard 48V chargers

The BMS & balancing stuff Moltenmetal mentioned is a whole different, but very important issue that you should research & understand before working with/using lithium batteries

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! There are lots of people using these batteries for off grid applications. I saw this video with a detailed setup of a BMS with a solar charger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZEHlUQnsVM&t=92s

I think I'm going to get that same BMS. I was about to go ahead and get a Luna charger even though it is only 5 amps. I'll research this Elcon charger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts