DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Thank you for clicking into my forum. I'm a current student at CSUF and my group and I are conducting a survey for electric car owners. My marketing class has us researching a product that we can potentially develop and successfully distribute to the target market. The survey is 10 questions, 2-3 minutes long if you don't mind helping me out, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!:):):)

- CSUF Student

Click here for the survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5WSPCBM

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Be sure to come back and give us a status of the results and tell us about this exciting product--don't leave me hangin bro'

·
Registered
80 Posts
A few comments on the survey;

The first question (if answered "No") does not prevent any future questions from being answered. I can't answer question 3-10 with real answers if the answer to question 1 is No...

The questionnaire on the whole does not appear too well researched: For example;

Question 5 - "How many times do you charge your car per day?"
You probably meant to ask per week... It's really hard to drive enough miles in a day that an average EV needs recharging multiple times.

Question 6 - Cost of a rapid-charge. Have you actually looked at the cost of rapid charging in your area? For example, in the UK - most rapid chargers cost somewhere between £0.20 and £0.35 per kilowatt-hour. Even if you had an EV with a 75kWh battery, that would only cost £26 to fully charge it (which is something that drivers would most likely never do at a rapid-charge station).

Question 10 - When you say "run out" do you mean stranded at the side of the road run out, or "got home with 10% remaining and plugged in" run out. EV drivers who've adapted to the differences between charging habits and fueling habits will generally not "run out" to the point where they need roadside assistance.

I hope you don't get discouraged by my criticism - but a crucial aspect of conducting effective market-research is know roughly what you're talking about before you start conducting primary research.

All the best,

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
One of the problems with free survey tools is that the encourage bad surveys.

In addition to the comments already posted, I have a concern with two other questions...

Question 7 - "How often do you use a quick (full) charge in a week?"
  • Do you mean a quick charge, or a full charge, or a full charge from a quick (fast) charging station? How is the survey respondent supposed to know which one you mean?
  • This uses a slider to collect a value from 1 to 100, but the labels on the slider correspond to just three discrete range choices. You have no idea how the survey respondent will interpret this, so the answers are worthless. Perhaps it was supposed to be a normal choice of three discrete ranges, like the other questions?
Question 8 - "Where do you charge your car?"
  • There are four choices, and no combinations (the choices are exclusive). What if I charge at home and at work, but nowhere else - how would I indicate that? The last option is particularly ridiculous - would anyone only call roadside assistance when their battery dies, never charging anywhere else?
The first question (if answered "No") does not prevent any future questions from being answered. I can't answer question 3-10 with real answers if the answer to question 1 is No...
This is a huge issue. At this point all of the survey data will need to be processed to exclude answers for questions 3 through 10 for anyone who answered "no" to question 1. If the survey tool doesn't allow skipping questions based on a previous answer (although I'm sure Survey Monkey does), the hack workaround is to add "not applicable" choices to the questions which should be skipped.

If the intent was to allow people to answer "no" to the question about owning an electric car, but answer the remaining questions based on their use of a leased vehicle, or a vehicle used for work and owned by an employer or other company, then the question needs to be much more clear. If the intent is to screen out people who don't drive electric cars, why ask the question instead of just instructing them not to fill in the survey?

Question 5 - "How many times do you charge your car per day?"
You probably meant to ask per week... It's really hard to drive enough miles in a day that an average EV needs recharging multiple times.
I agree. The question is pointless with this range of answers, since nearly all legitimate answers will be "0-1".

Question 6 - Cost of a rapid-charge. Have you actually looked at the cost of rapid charging in your area? For example, in the UK - most rapid chargers cost somewhere between £0.20 and £0.35 per kilowatt-hour. Even if you had an EV with a 75kWh battery, that would only cost £26 to fully charge it (which is something that drivers would most likely never do at a rapid-charge station).
As suggested above, there are (at least) three issues with this question:
  1. it assumes that a full charge is the only action possible at a rapid charging station; not only is that not true, but a full charge at a rapid charge station is not normal.
  2. The cost usually depends on the energy delivered, or the time connected, or some combination. Since the survey doesn't ask how much energy is added at rapid charge stations, the cost answers are worthless.
  3. Zero cost to the driver may indicate a free charging station (which is unlikely for fast charging, but common in some areas for Level 1 and Level 2 charging), or pre-paid charging (such as the Supercharger use included with many Tesla vehicle purchases). The distinction between these is likely important.
Question 10 - When you say "run out" do you mean stranded at the side of the road run out, or "got home with 10% remaining and plugged in" run out. EV drivers who've adapted to the differences between charging habits and fueling habits will generally not "run out" to the point where they need roadside assistance.
"Run out" could also mean run low enough to go home for a charge even though the driver would have continued with other tasks and destinations if there were enough charge remaining. Even a conventional (fuel-burning) vehicle can run out and require roadside assistance, but most people manage their driving well enough to make it to a fuel station; the number of instances of mis-managing available energy says much more about the driver than the vehicle or the infrastructure, so the intent of the question is not apparent.

I hope you don't get discouraged by my criticism - but a crucial aspect of conducting effective market-research is know roughly what you're talking about before you start conducting primary research.
I agree. The point of a survey is to gather information about the activities or beliefs of the survey audience, not to have them teach you about the subject. Was this survey tested on anyone? Next time, get a few friends or family members to try answering the questions, so you can catch these issues.

There are so many problems in this survey that it would probably make sense to just delete it, discard the results, and start again. After all, only two or three of the questions are even close to free of issues. There can't be more than a few minutes effort gone into creating the survey, so why waste any more public time on this version?

I suspect that the product to be marketed is some sort of emergency boost pack. Any prize for the right guess? :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts