DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post here. I have seen an older thread on here. Was wondering if anyone had some fresh insight. I am looking to put an EV charger on the side of my business (we are a commercial automotive builder so we can do a lot of this but I think/know this is a bit out of our wheelhouse as we pretty much only do 12 or 24 volt) as we are looking at getting a Transit EV and making the charger free for public use. I also have a Promaster RV we are building with 2 200ah batteries. I live up North solar isn’t a great option. I know it would be expensive but who should I see about getting this done. I would like to be able to just plug it in like a regular EV and have it charge. Also, I noticed on the last thread guys getting upset about RV’s using EV chargers. 1, I own the charger and provide it free as a customer service for my business. 2, it’s adding to the EV infrastructure which helps you not hurts you Thanks for any help or directions

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
We are getting upset about yahoos charging their house batteries taking forever at a public place made for propulsion batteries. Just like parking your gassed RV in a diesel only pump bay while you have dinner and take a shower. If it's a private charger on your property, you get to decide who uses it. Depending on jurisdiction, you need an electrician and permits to do the junction box fuses/breakers and wiring, the install just requires someone to RTFI and hang the hardware but electricians do that also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are getting upset about yahoos charging their house batteries taking forever at a public place made for propulsion batteries. Just like parking your gassed RV in a diesel only pump bay while you have dinner and take a shower. If it's a private charger on your property, you get to decide who uses it. Depending on jurisdiction, you need an electrician and permits to do the junction box fuses/breakers and wiring, the install just requires someone to RTFI and hang the hardware but electricians do that also.
I understand the charger needs to be done by an electrician that’s already underway. I need someone who can tell me where I would get the van side or how to do it. We have red seal techs but this isn’t exactly what they are comfortable doing they mostly do 12v etc. And I totally get the diesel pump issue. That why I said I own the charger. If the EV van works out we will have several for the service vans also.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think what you would want is something like this:

The J1772 plug is just a fancy waterproof outlet with a disconnect switch and a simple signal so the plug is not electrified until the connection is made.This little control box sends the signal to switch on the the power, and then you would just wire a 120v or 220v AC battery charger to the relay output. You would also need to wire up a J1772 plug to the outside of the RV somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
" I live up North solar isn’t a great option"

Please explain what North has to do with solar.
For a good part of the year we only get about 8 hours of sun per day and it’s really low on the horizon. So unless you want to make the panels on the roof move etc etc it’s just not worth it. I camp in this rig year round at least 2-3 nights a week when I’m on the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think what you would want is something like this:

The J1772 plug is just a fancy waterproof outlet with a disconnect switch and a simple signal so the plug is not electrified until the connection is made.This little control box sends the signal to switch on the the power, and then you would just wire a 120v or 220v AC battery charger to the relay output. You would also need to wire up a J1772 plug to the outside of the RV somewhere.
Thank you. Thats exactly what I was looking for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts