DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha, All. I don't see why I cannot charge my new Yaris from my electric grid. I am off the grid and run my plant totally on solar, including welding grinding cutting paint booth etc, so I can designate 12x195W panels and an Outback MX80 controller to run at 60V (up to 80amps) and the car is 240V. Seems I could break it into 4 banks of 60x4 and charge the 4 banks @ 60V each for 1-2 hours each, but How to do it?

I would want a fool-proof way and not have to manually switch each bank to be sure I do not do a +to- short.

Maybe here are a couple solutions that may work??
Some kind of master switch that can disconnect four terminals to isolate the 4 banks (that are normally in series) and simultaniously connect the four banks to the charger and all 240 at the same time?

Ideas? thanks
francis

BTW here is the Yaris I bought
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270660837843&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There must be inverters capable of taking in 60VDC and putting out 240VAC to run a normal ev charger, but obviously there would be an efficiency loss there.

Alternatively if you were to wire the solar bank in series to output at least 120VDC and then use a charger like certain manzanita models (PFC20?) that can be configured to run directly off of DC and anywhere from about 80V to 400V on the input side then you might not need to do any series/parallel switching in the car at all or in the solar array and you might not even need the solar charge controller since the manzanita should easily be able to handle anything a 2KW, 120V unregulated solar array can output at it. Only question to ask might be if anything bad happens to the charger if solar output voltage goes too low. I'm sure the mazanita guys would be happy to give their thoughts.

If you still want to be able to hook the solar bank back in with the rest of your array, some series/parallel switching on the panels themselves should be plenty feasible, or just put two 1KW, 60V inverters in series, each on 1/2 of the array (presuming their outputs can be wired in parallel)

good luck.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
There must be inverters capable of taking in 60VDC and putting out 240VAC to run a normal ev charger, but obviously there would be an efficiency loss there.
Well there is but I doubt it works the way you think it would. There are basically two types of inverters: GTI and Battery. He could use a battery inverter to convert 60 VDC to 240 AC. Catch is it would require a set of 60 volt batteries with 3 to 5 times the capacity of the EV batteries.

However I do know of a way to do this as I do it with my 48 volt golf cart. But there are three major hurdles. The most important hurdle is any modification to the vehicle charging system will void the warranty.

Second hurdle is a custom designed charge controller. Third the vehicle BMS

OK what you can do is connect your solar panels so that the Vmp voltage is at least 10 volts higher then the vehicle battery end voltage. So if it is 240 volts, then you will need at least 250 out of the panels.

From there you build a custom charge controller, install it on the vehicle, or heck it can even stand alone.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Aloha, Ok I am charging off my Outback charge controller from my solar panels. (off the grid and not tied to the Electric company. (the Yaris has 14x12v=168v and Zilla, Warp 9"). I started by using "jumper cable" type clamps to charge 5x12v at a time. I have 14 batteries and will add another Optima battery to make 15. I will have 3 banks of 5 batteries. I know it is a pain, but it is a start. Soooo, is there any 3 position switch for switching between banks to do away with the jumper cable clamps? I found a lot of A, B Marine battery switches, and even A,B +AB, but not A,B,C three position switches.
You know of any??

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aloha, Ok I am charging off my Outback charge controller from my solar panels. (off the grid and not tied to the Electric company. (the Yaris has 14x12v=168v and Zilla, Warp 9"). I started by using "jumper cable" type clamps to charge 5x12v at a time. I have 14 batteries and will add another Optima battery to make 15. I will have 3 banks of 5 batteries. I know it is a pain, but it is a start. Soooo, is there any 3 position switch for switching between banks to do away with the jumper cable clamps? I found a lot of A, B Marine battery switches, and even A,B +AB, but not A,B,C three position switches.
You know of any??
I had a lot of discouragement from other forums about charging directly from my solar cells and Outback charge controller, but all I can say now is that I am really pleased with how it charged my pack today. There was a lot of passing clouds so I did not get optimum charge rates, but it still charged up in 6 hours for all 14 12v optimas. The Outback charge controller is very customizable in settings so I found optimum settings for absorbing and float in percentage and time and cutoff parameters. Only trouble is that it can only charge 5x12v at a time so I have to in three sections. If I was in full sun I would have charged from 50% state of charge to 95% in about an hour and a half per section. Xantrax or Morningstar are supposed to be coming out with a high voltage unit that will step up voltage from your input voltage from your solar cells.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts