DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Charging my Yaris from my Solar Bank

2240 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  spdas
Aloha, All. I don't see why I cannot charge my new Yaris from my electric grid. I am off the grid and run my plant totally on solar, including welding grinding cutting paint booth etc, so I can designate 12x195W panels and an Outback MX80 controller to run at 60V (up to 80amps) and the car is 240V. Seems I could break it into 4 banks of 60x4 and charge the 4 banks @ 60V each for 1-2 hours each, but How to do it?

I would want a fool-proof way and not have to manually switch each bank to be sure I do not do a +to- short.

Maybe here are a couple solutions that may work??
Some kind of master switch that can disconnect four terminals to isolate the 4 banks (that are normally in series) and simultaniously connect the four banks to the charger and all 240 at the same time?

Ideas? thanks
francis

BTW here is the Yaris I bought
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0660837843&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Aloha, Ok I am charging off my Outback charge controller from my solar panels. (off the grid and not tied to the Electric company. (the Yaris has 14x12v=168v and Zilla, Warp 9"). I started by using "jumper cable" type clamps to charge 5x12v at a time. I have 14 batteries and will add another Optima battery to make 15. I will have 3 banks of 5 batteries. I know it is a pain, but it is a start. Soooo, is there any 3 position switch for switching between banks to do away with the jumper cable clamps? I found a lot of A, B Marine battery switches, and even A,B +AB, but not A,B,C three position switches.
You know of any??

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aloha, Ok I am charging off my Outback charge controller from my solar panels. (off the grid and not tied to the Electric company. (the Yaris has 14x12v=168v and Zilla, Warp 9"). I started by using "jumper cable" type clamps to charge 5x12v at a time. I have 14 batteries and will add another Optima battery to make 15. I will have 3 banks of 5 batteries. I know it is a pain, but it is a start. Soooo, is there any 3 position switch for switching between banks to do away with the jumper cable clamps? I found a lot of A, B Marine battery switches, and even A,B +AB, but not A,B,C three position switches.
You know of any??
I had a lot of discouragement from other forums about charging directly from my solar cells and Outback charge controller, but all I can say now is that I am really pleased with how it charged my pack today. There was a lot of passing clouds so I did not get optimum charge rates, but it still charged up in 6 hours for all 14 12v optimas. The Outback charge controller is very customizable in settings so I found optimum settings for absorbing and float in percentage and time and cutoff parameters. Only trouble is that it can only charge 5x12v at a time so I have to in three sections. If I was in full sun I would have charged from 50% state of charge to 95% in about an hour and a half per section. Xantrax or Morningstar are supposed to be coming out with a high voltage unit that will step up voltage from your input voltage from your solar cells.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.