DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which parts do I need in order to charge a Tesla model 3 / Y battery pack? Is it sufficient to have the charging ECU, charge port, charge port bus cable, harness? Or do I need the main car computer or any bms modules etc?

Or what are my other options for charging the whole battery pack?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plan to use for house back up in case of emergency. Basically I would charge up the Tesla battery to 80% and leave it that way, and if there is a blackout I will use it through an inverter to power (part of) my house.

I also started parting out Teslas so I may need to use this method to charge Tesla batteries once in awhile.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Which parts do I need in order to charge a Tesla model 3 / Y battery pack? Is it sufficient to have the charging ECU, charge port, charge port bus cable, harness? Or do I need the main car computer or any bms modules etc?

Or what are my other options for charging the whole battery pack?

Thanks!
you can use the physical hardware but the software elements can't be used, at least not as far as public chargers are concerned. technically if you tricked all the components into charging in public it would work but legally you are screwed if caught in public doing that. your better option is going with what the other guy said and using EVbmw hardware. i can verify that it does work on the model 3 PCS, model S motor, and model S gen2 charger. I ended up using a orion BMS with my build so i don't know how well those work but considering all the other hardware, I'd say it should be fine. Orion support chademo charging but wiring a orion up to a model 3 battery is a massive pain in the ass and requires a lot of soldering. I would just use the EVbmw boards if it was me. Only reason why i didn't use them on mine is because i had already gutted all the BMS wiring from the battery before he released the BMS boards for them.

Also if you are just looking for the ability to charge, i do have a model S onboard charger with the EVbmw board in it that i no longer need. i bought it before the PCS board was available. If you also need a DC/DC converter though then just use the PCS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts