DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. lets say I have a motor that is about 200-300 hp and have batteris that can carry the power of 44,8 kWh how long does it take to recharge them?

I can guess you can buy few type´s of chargers but what is the fastest and what is the slowest? like in hours?

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
ok.. lets say I have a motor that is about 200-300 hp and have batteris that can carry the power of 44,8 kWh how long does it take to recharge them?

I can guess you can buy few type´s of chargers but what is the fastest and what is the slowest? like in hours?
Hi rag,

First off, get your units straight. 44.8 kWh is a measure of energy. Which is different from power. Energy = power * time. Let's round off to 45 kWh. And consider everything at 100% efficient for example purpose. Then you could charge a 45 kWh battery in one hour with 45 kW of power. Or in 2 hours with 22.5 kW of power. Or in 20 hours with 2.25 kW of power.

Considering available chargers which can run off of a 240V 30A single phase outlet (like you would have for a dryer or range) are in the 2 to 4 kW range, you better plan to take a day or so to charge :) Using a 110V 15A circuit, better plan on 2 or 3 days.

Now if you had a dedicated generator for charging, say like a 60 KVA run by a 150 hp engine, you might be able to charge a 45 kWh battery in an hour.

major

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
you can get at 6 kw charger running from 240v single phase. As Major suggested, 100% efficiency would be about 7.5 hours. They usually take a bit longer if you let them finish off the last charging phase.....

Next step up would be a 3 phase primary power charger. Then...well, maybe 10 minutes.... :eek:

http://www.thunder-sky.com/products_en.asp?fid=102

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You could slowly charge a dump pack while you are at work, and do a fast dump charge when you get home (or between runs at a race track) -- that would give you a head start on recharging.

Not really practical for daily charging, but at the racetrack you can tow your EV with a truck and get stupendous charging rates via regen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts