DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure.
There is another person looking for this info, so, I'm trying to help him out.
Seems there was some info on this site a good while back. Searching found nothing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for hunting for more info on this, Harold.

It's not an Elcon/PFC.

The Charger in question was purchased as a JCKF series from Chennic - exact model number I am not sure of, but there seems to be conflicting information between the instruction sheet and their web site as to what voltages are supplied by what model number. According to the JCKF7210 instruction sheet and according to the marking on the charger, (and according to what I specified on my order) it should charge at 86.4v. According to Chennic's web site, the JCKF7210 charges at 72v.

I believe this charger is either made by Kelly, or by Kelly's manufacturer. Attached is a pic from Kelly's web site, and a pic of the charger I purchased from Chennic (note the model and brand cut out of the sticker on the case).

The problem with the charger is that although it powers up, it doesn't switch into charge mode. My suspicion is that it is either flat-out faulty, or mis-labeled/mis-programmed and is set for a lower charge voltage, so it's not kicking on.

After 3+ weeks of back and forth with Chennic all of my questions regarding how I could verify the programming in the charger, or what they can/will do in terms of warranty support, repair, replacement or refund have gone unanswered.

They have taken the time to ask me questions ensuring that I have correctly connected the charger to the battery pack, and correctly plugged it into a power outlet (plan is to use MiniBMS to cut off the charger via relay - but that gets wired *after* I confirm I have a charger that functions). Some of the their questions have been repetitive and I've gone so far as to provide them with a schematic of how I connected the charger, and two videos (at their request) showing its operation or lack thereof.

All of my correspondence with them has been positive and cordial (I see no point in pissing off someone I'm trying to get to help me).

After my e-mails from last week that went both to their tech support and sales addresses have remained unanswered, I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that even if they turn out to provide what I would deem to be acceptable warranty support in the end, I'll be out several more weeks to ship the charger back to China and receive a replacement. Last night I ordered a new charger from Elite Power Solutions, that shipped today from their warehouse in AZ.

Needless to say, I am rather disappointed with Chennic's post sale support.

I'm not actually looking for info on Chennic's charger at the moment, but was researching alternative compact (the charger is going onboard my Ninja250) chargers this weekend, and a post at elmoto.net triggered Harold's post here.

If I do get the Chennic charger sorted in the future, I guess that means I'll just have to build something to use it :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Bummer...:(

Yea, its definitely not Elcon/PFC, looks like Kelly OEM or some rebrand. I haven't used these myself, so not much help.

As for voltage ratings, nominal and max voltage are often mixed/confused in online specs, so its not uncommon to refer to a 72V ( nominal ) charger, which in fact has 84V max voltage. However, actual markings on the charger usually reflect actual max voltage, around 84V in your case. So, your charger could be referred to as "72V charger" speaking in nominal terms.

Obviously my above rhetoric doesn't help you make it work, sorry.

If you suspect the charger is set to lower voltage, try to connect its output across less number of cells, reducing one at a time, to see if charger comes to life at some lower voltage. Since charger likely has a startup detection sequence, you have to power cycle it every time you move the positive lead to the next cell.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for responding, Dimitri. As I said, I wasn't sure what problem Bill had, so I let him know to butt in here. I didn't know he did NOT have a Chennic, just bought from them.

Glad I didn't get any further involved and throw this whole thread out of whack.

·
Registered
194 Posts
send me your contact phone number. I have 3 of these (all three have failed two separate ways and I fixed.) Ill see if I can help

·
Registered
8 Posts
However, actual markings on the charger usually reflect actual max voltage, around 84V in your case. So, your charger could be referred to as "72V charger" speaking in nominal terms.
Yep, I get that. Actual max voltage in the manual and on the charger match, for the 7210, it's just what Chennic lists on their site as the max voltage that doesn't match.

Obviously my above rhetoric doesn't help you make it work, sorry.
No, but it goes to make sure I was clued in, which is good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts