DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2016 chevy volt battery W/ 38k miles last week for my 140kW VetteCart build (hopefully electric replica C2 Corvette one day).

This battery is beautifully made. I was really impressed with the designs and how easy it was to disassemble. Here are a few photos:

Battery after unloading. Excuse the huge pile of dirt on the floor. The garage door needs a new seal. :confused:

BMS and high-power wiring removed. I wish I'd documented the process better, but everything was neatly packaged and easy to remove. The connectors didn't put up much of a fight and nothing was damaged during disassembly which can be rare when dealing with modern cars.

Modules removed from the mounting plate. The gen 2 modules don't have the tacky adhesive that I heard about holding gen 1 modules in place. Instead they have grippy rubber strips under the hold-down bars, so there's no prying involved in removing them.

These are configured differently from the gen 1 modules. That was a little bit of a surprise to me, but it will work out better for my application anyway. Gen 2 batteries have three 16S3P modules and four 12S3P modules.
All the 12S and 16S modules were within less than 0.1V of each other. (I don't think I tried to measure at a higher resolution than 0.1V anyway)

Some of the goodies inside the connection block include this cool 20-600A (I think?) current clamp. If anyone has a couple of these lying around I'd be interested. I'm thinking I'll monitor the current being drawn from each of my parallel blocks independently.

Now comes the long process of figuring out how to best fit these in the car and working out the BMS.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
These are configured differently from the gen 1 modules. That was a little bit of a surprise to me, but it will work out better for my application anyway. Gen 2 batteries have three 16S3P modules and four 12S3P modules.
Yes, the Gen 2 modules are differently configured from the Gen 1, but that's not quite what they are. The Gen 1 battery is 96S3P, with modules of 18 cells (6S3P) and 36 cells (12S3P); the Gen 2 battery is 962P, with modules of 24 cells (12S2P) and 32 cells (16S2P). But yes, they are 12S and 16S. :)

2016 Chevrolet Bolt Battery System

As with other common stacked pouch cell modules, there is one visible polymer frame per pair of cells.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
As with Gen 1, the modules (7 for Gen 2, 9 for Gen 1) are mechanically linked into the three larger blocks that are clear in the photos. Many people leave these blocks intact, which is convenient if it works for packaging. In this case, the blocks are
12S + 12S = 24S (front)​
12S + 16S = 28S (middle)​
16S + (12S + 16S) = 44S (across the back)​
and while their total length is probably nearly the same as the total of Gen 1 blocks, the length isn't distributed in quite the same way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine are re-configured in 3 sets of 28S. The left-over 12S will likely end up being re-purposed as an accessory battery.

Gen 1 total module length seems to be about 4.5 in more than Gen 2. This is evident in the tighter packaging inside the assembly cover (much more air space on Gen 2).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have the pinout for the Gen 2 BECM control connector? Looking for CAN pins and other control signals, not the balance connector pinout. So far all I know is power and ground.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In case anyone else needs them, here's the pinout for the BECM control signals. These came from the 2016 Chevy Volt factory service manual.

BECM X8
ColorPinSignal
RD/VT
1​
B+ (12V)
2​
BU/WH
3​
ACC Wake Serial Data #2
WH/BU
4​
CAN Low #2