DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if I missed this in my search, but does anyone have any info on the internal temperature sensors in the Chevy Volt modules?

The 12s modules have connectors with 17 wires, 13 of which seem to be going to each side of each cell, and 4 of which I'm assuming are for internal temperature sensors.

If I had to guess, I would guess that there are two temp sensors which are simple resistance sensors with some resistance-vs-temperature value between two of the wires? Has anyone tested this and have data they would share?

Figured I'd ask before I setup a bench test to verify and get the data myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In manual are few tables and not clear which is for battery
I'm getting 13.7K at 60F which doesn't seem to line up with any of those listed, though my pinout is slightly different from any of the ones shown in the 2012 manual. I have a 2015 battery, so maybe they changed the sensor. Next week I will run some warm water through it with a pump and my Fluke temp sensor to get a few points. I will report back with my data.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For anyone interested:

I ran water through my batteries (2015 Volt, 12s module) at different temperatures and measured the resistance of the two sensors (one in each module). Resistance values are in thousands of ohms:

Temp °F__R1 kΩ__R2 kΩ
35_______27.1___30.9_
50_______18.5___18.9_
70_______12.5___12.4_
100______6.4____6____
115______4.6____4.2__
130______3.3____2.9__

1 - 8 of 8 Posts