DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
love the bumpers esp. the fog lights, its design is really a genius, but other than that how come there's no picture of the whole car? i'm looking forward to it...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice looking car, too bad its probably never going to be produced. Its way over priced. Drop the hybrid part. Get down the price to around $20k If $40 k is the target price GM will not sell many of them. Why GM insist upon making vehicles that are out of the price range of working people I will never know. All the manufacturers need to be cognisant of the fact that very few working people can afford a car over $20 k. Although my grandfather was an autoworker for Ford and the Unions were needed back then, The Unions are killing the automakers with greed now. I have no problem with Unions, but the Unions have got realise by now that their greed is killing the car manufacturers.

·
Registered
326 Posts
GM and Ford stocks have hit rock bottom. Detroit automaker did not plan ahead and where really just interest in profit margins of individual car lines. The Clinton admins gave the domestic automakers a chance to bulid a future high mileage car. The automakers executives screwed their workers with no real vision for the future and we are know at that cross road again with the automakers whining for government money. The housing, mortgage, and auto industry had the chance to plan ahead and they screwed up!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
The Unions are killing the automakers with greed now. I have no problem with Unions, but the Unions have got realise by now that their greed is killing the car manufacturers.
I don't think it's greed as much as clinging to a post WWII Leave it to Beaver vision of the US that has now passed.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Woops. I tried to start a thread on the volt in the chit-chat section, but forgot we have a hybrid section.

I do have a question about the volt though. Has anyone seen it driving faster than ~15 MPH?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think I saw one go about 65 mph on its way to the crusher, but maybe I was just seeing things. :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I do have a question about the volt though. Has anyone seen it driving faster than ~15 MPH?
The concept is a rolling movie prop with no suspension that sounds like cinder blocks scraping on pavement when it lumbers around. Nobody's actually videotaped the mules in motion but presumably they can go freeway speed.

Chrysler's ENVI prototypes are far more impressive as far as showing stuff actually in motion. But it's since been revealed that outside parties did most of the work FOR Chrysler in getting those up and running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRnbnlay36M

·
Registered
4,958 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Woops. I tried to start a thread on the volt in the chit-chat section, but forgot we have a hybrid section.

The volt is "supposedly" to be in production by 2010. The one media invite to the test track and the volt never got over 10mph and then had to be pushed onto a rescue vehicle. GM lead by Mr. Waggoner and Lutz need to get on the ball. The Volt range is only 40 miles then the split cycle of a onboard ICE will recharge the lithum cell. GM has not shown or really built the ICE part of the Volt design. Mr.Lutz does not like the Prius but by 2010 Toyota will be geared up to mass produce the Prius hybrid 1.8 ICE which will get a better mpg than current production. The Mississippi Toyota plant will be shipping Prius by rail by year 2010 as well.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
It begs a lot of questions if GM has not completed a powertrain for the volt at this point.
Where is the sale price coming from if the car isn't even finished?
What about the performance/MPG claims (i thought they already picked a fight with the EPA on how to rate the car's MPGs)?
What is powering the current prototypes?
How much more cash will they need before the car is ready?

The prius on the other hand is a platform that can already work as a plug in hybrid and some have already made such upgrades without toyota's blessing. I don't really like the prius, but even I have to admit the car has a sound track record along with the company that made it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
To my knowledge it is a 1.4l engine. Kind of a spin off of the old Geo three bangers with an extra cylinder. The engine should get around 50 mpg by itself.

The GM CEO drove it from Detroit to DC so I am assuming some progress has been made.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
The GM CEO drove it from Detroit to DC so I am assuming some progress has been made.
I noticed, but I don't trust wagner or lutz as far as I can throw them. Who knows what that car was really powered by. I'm still skeptical.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can definately understand the distrust.

It is GM so if this car does make it production I doubt they are really going to use anything new in the way of engine or transmission. They love to dust old crap off the shelf, barely alter it and then throw it in new stuff.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hardly...it was trucked to DC and driven a COUPLE OF MILES at very LOW speeds...that put's a lot of doubt into GM's progress with the Volt.

c/p from priuschat-

According to Jalopnik, Wagoner will drive the Volt mule from his Washington hotel to "a 9:30 AM rally at the corner of Delaware Ave. and C street just outside the Russell Senate Building."
That's a distance of just a few miles, probably at speeds below 25 mph - so it still won't come close to showing us how close the Volt prototypes may be to finished products. The fact that Wagoner didn't drive one from Detroit, but apparently had it shipped to Washington in order to drive the last few miles, may be an indication that the Volt program has a long way to go to keep its promises.

GM CEO Drives a Chevy Volt to Washington...Sort Of - U.S. News Rankings and Reviews

·
Registered
34 Posts
Points to you, hybrad. Thanks for that article.
thanks for the thanks..as far as your Prius comment, I also didn't have a lot of admiration for the Prius until I learned that it only uses 200wh/m. So we are now modifying them to Plug-Ins and they are great little EV's. I drive to work and back w/o using the engine.

10-12 miles with LA and over 40 miles with Lithium:D. Better and cheaper than the Volt and available today. The tax payers money could go to a better use if only people knew....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts