DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aha. Well it had about run its course I suppose, and rarely touched on EVs. Still, you would think <someone> might have the stones to announce it was being retired. A simple "we're sick of moderating it" would have been a less, shall we say, un-manly way to go about it.

But I guess such terms as "manly" are no longer politically acceptable in the censored world we live in.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Only in very exceptional circumstances should a thread be deleted.
Locked is the preferred option, maybe confined to member only access,..
... but deletion is just dictator style censorship.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I thought it was still here, just going under an assumed name - "New Member Introductions". That section still has all the old stickies like the Climate Change thread and so on.

·
Administrator
368 Posts
Hey folks. Sorry for the confusion. dedlast got it right - the chit chat section was simply renamed "New Member Introductions." We are trying to have some consistency for New Member forums across most of our sites, which means that a bunch need to be renamed.

I can assure you that it had nothing to do with someone not "having the the stones" to make an announcement (although the person who handled the switch does not have 'stones' to begin with). She sends her apologies for any confusion.

Cheers,

Erik

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I vote for having separate forums for new member introductions and "chit-chat". I think we need both. It is confusing the way it is now, and it seems inappropriate to have discussions like the "Climate Debate" and "America" mixed in with new member intros. :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I think we need both.
I agree. An off-topic forum is useful, and separate purpose from introduction. But, I think beyond that there are other lower-hanging fruit if we're going to suggest improvements to the forums.

In general, I think there are too many sub forums. I feel like there's only value in splitting them when it's too much for someone to keep up with in a day and the separation is useful.

Right now, there's only dozens of posts a day. Almost everyone is clicking on the "New Posts" button, not scrolling and opening each sub-forum. It's needless division.

Just my two cents.

·
Administrator
368 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. Would anyone else like to see an off topic section added to the site? We can pitch the idea to the other site staff.

Cheers,

Danniella

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. Would anyone else like to see an off topic section added to the site? We can pitch the idea to the other site staff.

Cheers,

Danniella
I like the idea although I seldom would use it; it might keep the technical forums clearer.

Regards,

major

·
Registered
238 Posts
I also think there should an off-topic section. I think every forum I've been to has one and they usually pretty busy.

B

·
Administrator
368 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. Since no one else seems keen on the idea I don't think it'll be added.

Niall

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I feel fairly strongly that there should be separate forums for off-topic conversations (chit-chat), and introductory posts for newbies. Perhaps you could ask for a vote in one of the emails you now send out with "trending posts". Thanks. :)

If the aim is to reduce the total number of sub-forums, there are some that are rarely, if ever, used:

EV Clubs: Some inactive since before 2011

EVDL List: Last post 11/3/2012

Vendor Deals: Only activity was admin posting rules 4/12/2017

VSTEST LKMA: No activity ever

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If the aim is to reduce the total number of sub-forums, there are some that are rarely, if ever, used:
I'd agree there.

Bigger picture, if we're talking about improving the website, I have some general feedback.

1 - Revamp the front page.

The front page looks like it's set up to be a blog, but it's not a blog, it's not used as a blog, it's never posted to and it looks abandoned. That's the first impression people get "Oh, another abandoned forum/blog".

Devil's in the details, but just loose brainstorming I would like the front page to be something that attracts the people who would use the website. Tell them what the place is, what resources are available (not just forums, the garage), and something about how to get started.

2 - I would reduce the forums as follows:

- Forum Help/Posting Issues/Tech Support.
- EV Wiki
- EV News
- General EV Discussion
- Conversions and Builds
- Component Discussion (Motors/Controllers/Batteries/Etc)
- Off-Topic Chit Chat
- Buy & Sell/Classifieds

And that's it. I can even see merging Component Discussion into General EV.

A "New Member Intro" should be a stickied thread at the top of General EV, no need for threads for discussion, just one "Hi, I'm also new" posting to a big thread. I've seen that work best on other forums.

The reason I've broken things up this way is because I see those as the types of conversation people want to have.

We might want to talk about EV news, and do so separately. This is about how the industry is doing.

We all want Conversions and Builds, that's most of our best content, build logs and projects.

We will want to talk about EVs in general, how they perform, what if this, I've noticed that, here's a common thing to discuss about driving/owning an EV. Something that's not news, but not build threads either.

We might want to have component-specific talk, though, generally that's only happening in Conversions threads else, it could just be in General EV talk. I'm on the fence.

Chit-Chat we've discussed. It's for non-EV stuff that we want to talk about with EV people because some of us care what we have to say outside of EV things.

And then if you want to buy or sell something, you want that in a discrete place from conversation so you can see what's for sale.

To me that's it. Those are all the types of conversations we have. There's no need to fracture it further. All the other divisions are close enough that it's not a hassle to have to see them when you're reading about other things.

Just my two cents, I know running a community is a thankless job that's harder than it looks.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It doesnt really matter what forum titles you offer, some jerks are still going to just drop their mental litter into any random forum or thread, without even considering which is most appropiate, if any!
As we have seen , some poster even post the same comments in multiple threads...they just dont follow any reconised forum etiquette. !
Often it is best to let the forums develop "organically" and let the moderators cull the dead or weak unused forums.
What is most important is a good, reliable, "Search" function, such that users can find information and topics relavent to their interest.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It doesnt really matter what forum titles you offer, some jerks are still going to just drop their mental litter into any random forum or thread, without even considering which is most appropiate, if any!
As we have seen , some poster even post the same comments in multiple threads...they just dont follow any reconised forum etiquette. !
Often it is best to let the forums develop "organically" and let the moderators cull the dead or weak unused forums.
What is most important is a good, reliable, "Search" function, such that users can find information and topics relavent to their interest.
Sadly that is why all forums need moderators. Typically such people are first instructed, then if that doesn't "take," removed.

But IMHO there was some value in the off-topic forum. The core of this site brings together people with a full spectrum of ideas because of a shared interest. There is necessarily going to be conflict in a "nearly unmoderated" forum area, but the mere fact that the great climate change debate thread lasted so long showed people willing to engage despite the friction. Even that level of engagement is fast becoming impossible in many, perhaps most, other areas of our society.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I watched this forum go down hill for years. It got sold a few years ago, and big business got its hands on it. It is disappointing to see the end of the chit chat section.

Someone screwed up. I just got a notification about this post today in my email. Yep, downhill... :D

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Someone screwed up. I just got a notification about this post today in my email. Yep, downhill... :D
Lol, I just dropped in today to see if there was anything left of the greatest electric car forum. I stopped coming here when the new kids got their hands on the site and messed it up, but I still think about it from time to time. The kids who got the keys to the site probably came across some of those old threads that had hundreds of thousands of views and killed them for ideological reasons. Ideology probably "trumps" the value of hundreds of thousands of views for them. They have their modernized forum now, but the forum doesn't have my latest projects all documented like the many I did here in the past...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts