DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Just an update for the gauges from speedhut.
the order is set am I got the first picture from them.
View attachment 127808
What's "KM/T" supposed to be? Speed, in km/h? I can't tell if it's a typo (a good reason for sending artwork proofs) or something deliberate that just isn't apparent to me.

It's also strange to have yellow and red zones on a speedometer. That could indicate motor speed, but it would only make sense when using one specific transmission gear. Is marking zones on a speedometer a local thing there?

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
I live in Denmark where hour is time so it is called km/t.
In the International System of Units the symbol for kilometre is "km", not "KM", regardless of language. The symbol for "hour" is "h", regardless of the word commonly used in the local language for hour (which I now know is "time" in Danish, spelled like the English word but meaning a specific unit :).... and pronounced "teem"). Using "T" makes sense to you and it's your car, but using non-standard symbols for standard units is not good practice in general... and even if you prefer the "T", I think using the lowercase "km" would be better, to keep at least the "kilometre" part using the correct symbol.

By the way, "T" is a valid symbol for a unit... the tesla, the unit of magnetic flux density. So "km/T" would be "kilometres per tesla". :D Ironically appropriate for an EV, but still physically nonsense. The lower-case letter "t" is not a unit symbol, so I suppose that "km/t" for "kilometer i timen" wouldn't be so bad.

The yellow and red are because it was made such original on datsun z.
You can also see my speedometer at the top of the thread there is a line from 100km / h and up
View attachment 127827
Okay, I get wanting the authentic marking feature. It makes no functional sense so it would annoy me, but I suppose it's harmless... and of course it's your car!

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Although I participated in this thread, I didn't notice where it was in the forum... it is in what is supposed to be a wiki, rather than the discussion forums. Perhaps a moderator (I guess that's you, Matt ;)) could move the entire thread to where it belongs, in EV Conversions and Builds > Technical Discussion?

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Just curious, niklaskinn... why did you choose this style for the dual gauge, instead of the "alternative sweep option" (shafts on the outside, needles extending inward) which gives a longer needle and longer (more readable) scale for the same sweep angle in the same face size?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts