DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Honda CRX (EM57 2013 Leaf Motor)
278 Posts
I was looking into this in my CRX EV build. I'd say put any speedometer cluster you want and get the speed input data needed to utilize your cluster.

In the case of my 1986 CRX, I actually have a 2001 Honda Insight digital cluster which requires an electrical vehicle speed sensor input. The Leaf motor I'm swapping in doesn't provide that signal as they use wheel speed sensors.

So to mimic the VSS, also taking on the idea of how wheel speed sensors work, I pick up a hall sensor from racepak. It looks like this:

Cable Natural material Electric blue Event Eyewear

I then picked up a collar like this to attach to my axle:
Font Automotive wheel system Auto part Rim Circle

I would need to mount the sensor in a stable position where it would detect the magnet passing. Some people mount it on the rear wheels. Etc.

From there, we need to convert that input out to the speedometer. If your vehicle uses mechanical speed input, speedhut sells an adapter to convert digital to mechanical.

For me I need to correctly scale the pulses to match the input expected by my speedometer which I'm planning to try to use this:
Font Rectangle Technology Electronic device Display device

In the end, the goal for me is to use my own speed cluster. If you don't like your current one, you can change it. As other said, speed by GPS has flaws where you might lose signal and that has reliability issues. Start with what cluster design you like, then work backwards to make it work is my suggestion.

Attachments

·
Registered
1986 Honda CRX (EM57 2013 Leaf Motor)
278 Posts
Thanks for you replay windraver.
I will se if I can get the speedometer I like in a non gps version.
Then I think I will go for the this 4 gauge.

State of charge
Temp on engine/inverter.
Ampere meters
Tachometer
Yea I just did a POC with my Honda CRX using a Honda Insight cluster because I like those fancy digital clusters and I got it working. So find the style you like then figure out how to make it work for whatever you're installing it into.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts