DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm having to figure out what i want of gauge in my car. i need to have GPS speedometer in the middle and therefore have two available gauge with two options each. what would you choose. State of charge, water temperature, tachometer, amp meter, org
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Font Material property Major appliance

Gauge Measuring instrument Vehicle Tool Font

White Light Product Black Font

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just for reference, GPS speedos can suck pretty badly at times. If you start moving and they don't have a fix, they sometimes need to stop for a few minutes to get a fix, particularly if cloudy. They also don't work very well on cloudy days, in tunnels... They are also not legal in some countries. I did 13000 miles with one as it was easier than fixing the OEM speedo at the time and I'd often have to wait for it to fix before taking off.
Nice to know. i still want to go with that solution and then think that a tachometer then I can always use this in case of failure of gps

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for you replay windraver.
I will se if I can get the speedometer I like in a non gps version.
Then I think I will go for the this 4 gauge.

State of charge
Temp on engine/inverter.
Ampere meters
Tachometer

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You don't need a tach on a fixed ratio gearbox. A speedo is basic equipment for roadworthiness in many places...that gets you an odoneter in most cases.

Otherwise, an hours meter is useful in place of the odo for maintenance & valuation

Buyer: "how money miles/hours on it since the conversion?"
You: "I have no idea...."
I go for an ordinary speedometer with obd counter.
I have a gearbox on so I could use tachometers in som cases but it is not very necessary.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What's "KM/T" supposed to be? Speed, in km/h? I can't tell if it's a typo (a good reason for sending artwork proofs) or something deliberate that just isn't apparent to me.

It's also strange to have yellow and red zones on a speedometer. That could indicate motor speed, but it would only make sense when using one specific transmission gear. Is marking zones on a speedometer a local thing there?

I live in Denmark where hour is time so it is called km/t.
The yellow and red are because it was made such original on datsun z.
You can also see my speedometer at the top of the thread there is a line from 100km / h and up

Watch Measuring instrument Gauge Clock Rim

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
According to tests from NASA, an 18650 cell doesn't light off until 120C on its case.

If you're trying to hit max rate charging, you're running the cell cases at 45C-50C for at least a dozen minutes. Half scale would not work, as you'd get zero visibility to a creeping heatup during charging due to a failed cooling loop.

Depending on your sizing and method, of cooling, I suspect you could see excursions to 60-70C during charging. So top end, 90C would be my choice. Which is still not 4th of July fireworks, according to NASA.

At the other end, to at least zero degrees C.

So, for my cars it would be

maybe orange -30-0C
yellow 0-15C,
green 15-xC
yellow x-60C with a "SC" mark at 45 or green from 40-60C
orange 60-90C

x is TBD - maybe someone has a rational basis for its bottom end value. Is yellow warranted during regular summer days in places like Thailand, where Bjorn Nyland found the cars to be running near peak efficiency in a place that normally is 35-40C in summer? I submit it's 40C. And 40-60 is SC*

*and super scoot current mode
battery temp scales to keep it slightly similar to battery SOC

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
yes we have some harsh fine penalties. max speed on highway is 130km / h. if you go higer Them 200km / h they take the car from you and sell it on action then the money goes to the state

I will get back with the canbus project wen I’m ready with the gauges

1 - 16 of 16 Posts