DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Claiming the 2009 US Federal Tax Credit using TurboTax

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  dtbaker 
#1 ·
I'm using Turbo Tax, and it was not really obvious how to claim this - and it's a pretty decent credit, so it's worth digging.

According to the IRS, you can claim "A new plug-in conversion credit of 10% of the cost of converting any motor vehicle (new or used) to a qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle. The maximum credit is $4,000 per vehicle. This credit is claimed on Form 8910, Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit, and applies to property placed in service after February 17, 2009."

So, you need to go to the forms view in TurboTax and search for Form 8910. Fill in the worksheet (I put the complete itemization in just to have redundancy for the records) - say "yes" to item 2 ("Did you convert your motor vehicle to a qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle and place it in service after Feb 17 2009?"), fill in the date on line 2A, and the cost in line 2B, and it puts everything else where it should go. I did not attempt to manually deduct any of the expenses, so line 2C was zero.

#5 ·
If you don't pay very close attention, you can get diverted into the "bought a new alternative fuel car" or "bought a new plug-in electric vehicle" forms. Those do require them to be newer vehicles. However, the "converted a car to plug-in" does not have such a restriction. But you have to dig for it...

#7 · (Edited)
I would say yes, using the value of the Donor at the time it is put in service as an electric car, since the Donor is just a 'component' of the finished product. I just plugged this into my return and added the text '-100% electric conversion' to the slot for the model so it would make sense to an auditor knowing there where no electric suzuki swifts in 1997 . ;)

I do however have a question on the exact form that is best to use.... when i went thru Turbo Tax, it picked Form 8834, not 8910 .... and I am not seeing any clear indicator as to which is more correct for a conversion....

#9 ·
If you used form 8834, you used the wrong form. That, I think, is the form for buying a *new* plug-in EV (like the Nissan Leaf, or a NEV).

You really have to dig and get form 8910 - search for it by name, don't just let Turbo Tax guide you.

All that said, I still have not received my refund...

#10 ·
Dan: I think that's why form 8910 is the one to use.

Attached is a snapshot of the worksheet for my 8910. Note the second question relating to converting a car (as opposed to the first question, for new car buyers), where you enter when the vehicle was "placed in service" (this is the date the DMV decreed my 1963 VW was an electric vehicle), and also the whole "Skip Part II" bit (as that's where folks who've purchased hybrids make their picks).

One last little caution: based on my experience, calling the IRS itself to ask advice won't be fruitful. I spoke with 2 agents, both of whom knew nothing about tax credits for electric conversions....

Good luck!

Attachments

#11 ·
Any thoughts as to whether you can claim the cost of the vehicle itself?
Form 8910 line 4 states "...Otherwise, enter the cost of converting the vehicle to a qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle...)" Italics added. I would say Cost of converting does not include the cost of the vehicle converted. Kind of like saying the cost of washing a vehicle includes its purchase price because you couldn't wash it if you didn't purchase it.
bad news.... I e-filed, and the fed form kicked back because the year of my swift was entered as 1997
Sounds like you got diverted to the part for a "qualified hybrid vehicle" purchased from a manufacturer. There is a list of such qualified vehicles with their "credit allowable" in the instructions for form 8910. This credit (line 3) is added to line 9, the lower of 10% of the cost of conversion or $4000. I don't see anything on the form 8910 or its instructions that states a constraint on model year of the vehicle converted, but the vehicle must be in the list, or certified by the manufacturer, to get the "credit allowable".
Several people reported successfully using turbotax to file for this, so I think you may have used the wrong form. If all else fails, go to the irs website and read the instructions.:D

#14 ·
Does it matter how long it takes to buy your parts? In other words, do all of the purchases have to be made in the year that you're filing for? My project may take a year or longer to complete. So my receipts for purchases may span more than 12 months of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.