DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
You're probably right, stuffs all over the map on which transmission was in there but if I assume fwd it was probably the th425, which According to a guy in this read is like 330lbs (!) On its own, which seems insane to me
There shouldn't be any uncertainty: every Cadillac Eldorado starting with the 8th generation (1967) is front wheel drive, and an 8th (1967-1970) or 9th (1971 to 1978) generation Cadillac Eldorado has a THM 425.

The THM 425 had a cast-iron components, and is a transaxle (meaning complete with final drive, meaning differential) with a chain drive from the torque converter to the rest of the transmission - I don't think the weight is surprising.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Did the 71 have a transaxle though? Google keeps saying it had a THM400, which is ~150 lbs with fluid. Still heavy
The relevant range of Eldorados have a THM 425, which is a transaxle using the core of a THM 400, which might be the source of your confusion. The THM would be much heavier due to the added components.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'd be going with a Tesla DU up front and stacking all of the battery modules under the hood for this one.

With the mission profile being short range, the weight comes in pretty close to stock with what gets pulled out.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
494 Posts
My LEAF 30kwh battery weighed almost exactly 600lbs on a scale with an overbuilt steel box. I'm guessing the complete LEAF motor stack is 300-400 lbs. It's not far off from the Caddy especially when you include radiator and fluid, oils, etc. The simplicity is worth is compared to splitting the battery between the front and rear of the vehicle.

Upgrade to the 200hp LEAF inverter if you feel it needs more power.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd be going with a Tesla DU up front and stacking all of the battery modules under the hood for this one.

With the mission profile being short range, the weight comes in pretty close to stock with what gets pulled out.
I wanted a Tesla but the cost v buying a complete leaf. $7k for a complete part kit(that I can drive till I commit). Maybe recover some cost from the shell. What I see is like $25K for tesla conversion.

If I hit the lotto, it's gona be a D200P baby! With a strait rear axle and lots of space in the caddi and front wheel drive putting dual tesla motors and some battery pack seems doable but out of my budget.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gotta say don't see a one speed transaxle having a problem. Not gonna floor it. unlikely to even go 50k miles in this car.

I also think the transaxle is going to be widely available in good condition off salvage cars because they aren't gonna fail in Leafs. Evs with one speeds going to die of something else before the one speed fails.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You don't understand. They won't fail IN A LEAF.

Your car weighs almost twice as much which could mean bearing failure pretty quickly.
Ok
I just checked for used Leaf transaxles 30+ available average price $400.

Tesla transaxle only came up with 2 and no price (if you have to ask you can't afford it)

Does anybody have a better idea?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Leaf DU will be just fine, if a bit lifeless.

A neat trick on a drop-top Eldorado is to repeatedly press on the rear fin at the same rate as the chassis natural frequency in torsion and you can get a wave going like a waterbed. The dash plane rocks oppositely to the back end by several degrees. Chassis made of jello.

At least you'll have plenty of room for batteries

21 - 32 of 32 Posts