DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've wanted to purchase and build and N600 for years and your project is very similar to what that would be.

I think I would start with all the components on the bench and see if you can't get them wired as they would have been in the prototype. I think you should have all the pieces? Did it come with the throttle? That will let you sort out the wiring diagram for the car, too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I understand the importance of getting the motors mounted to be able to run them, and that there are limitations on how the motors can be located, but have you considered how their mounting will work with other components?

One potential advantage of this dual pancake motor configuration is that there should be room between the motors. In a small front wheel drive car not designed to accommodate a battery, it would be good to be able to one pack of battery modules in the front, and that could be between the motors... but is the battery module design known yet?
Brian,

Part of the problem with those motors is that they don't have back plates and are designed to be bolted together. Not a huge problem, but he'd have to have individual back plates machined for each motor to be able to split them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
YASA's product page for the 750 shows front and back plates (perhaps needing only a cover at the shaft), but of course the motors can be purchased in various configurations. Unfortunately the photos from the classified ad (and the discussion which preceded it) are now gone, so I can't see what these motors look like on the back.

Looking at the original transaxle, it appears that these motors will need to be installed back-to-back anyway to get roughly original axle shaft lengths.
Those *specific* motors, not the Yasa 750 in general. It is pretty much just a cover.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Brian, The Sevcon inverters are currently programmed to work in the same way, ie one is the master and the other is the slave. The master would have been receiving CAN messages from the VCU that it would decode and share with the slave inverter. Problem now is that I do not have the VCU so I will have to take the output from the throttle pedal, convert it to CAN messages that the Master inverter would understand. I would think you would have to do the same for any leaf inverter for example, so its possible, question is if i can do it with my limited knowledge. I have heard its possible to do this with Ardunio, and there is a lot of info on Ardunio on the net...
For the amount of effort and how little you paid for the drive package, this makes a lot of sense despite any issues with evtv.

http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=gevcu6

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.