DIY Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Scott, I just checked out your Youtube channel. It looks like you are well begun on the body restoration. I'm looking forward to seeing the project come together, and reading the updates here.

I'm new to even thinking about EV conversions, and I am keen to learn from your process.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Scott, I just checked out your Youtube channel. It looks like you are well begun on the body restoration. I'm looking forward to seeing the project come together, and reading the updates here.

I'm new to even thinking about EV conversions, and I am keen to learn from your process.
Thanks, I have a looong way to go but with the nature of the conversion I have to have these discussions now.
It is the first time I have taken on such a big project and I have learned so much from people on the internet be it YouTube or forums such as this one.
The more information we all put out there the easier it will be for everyone to share and complete their own projects.
You can check out some of the channels I follow as they have been invaluable and/or inspirational to me.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So, I've made a cardboard mock up of battery modules from the Leaf, i3 and Zoe.
It looks as if the Zoe batteries will fit in easier than the others (I was kinda hoping the i3 would be a good fit as the motor has more power)
It might be possible to fit 6 in the boot, 2 under the rear seat and 5 where the tunnel currently is. The new tunnel would be 30cm to 35cm tall.
That makes 14 out of the 16 modules so only need to find space for 2 more.
As stated on another thread I will need to get the car inspected as I would be making modifications to the integrity of the body but if that is what's needed to have a useable car then so be it.
This is all provided that I can stand the modules on their ends (in the boot)

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
So, I've made a cardboard mock up of battery modules from the Leaf, i3 and Zoe.
Ah... CAD :) (Cardboard Aided Design)

The new tunnel would be 30cm to 35cm tall.
In the scale of a Mini interior, that sounds more like a wall than a tunnel. What would it be like for elbow room?

That makes 14 out of the 16 modules so only need to find space for 2 more.
A possible alternative is to run 14/16ths of the stock voltage, with a corresponding loss of high-speed performance, if the BMS still works without all of the cells and the controller/inverter can work with the lower voltage. Tesla had 14 modules or 16 modules in the Model S, with the same drive units.

This is all provided that I can stand the modules on their ends (in the boot)
As long as they are supported by an appropriate structure, that shouldn't be a problem. As an example, snowdog has placed some of his LG Chem module (which are normally horizontal in the Pacifica Hybrid) on end in his car.

·
Administrator
6,167 Posts
Back when I did my Lancia mini in the 80's I moved the rear bulkhead back a few inches to get more room in the car - I also cut away the center tunnel and put a larger one in there - it made almost no difference to the space inside

There is also a lot of space in the middle of the rear subframe - if you go to coil springs you can throw away the rear subframe and just have a single cross car member that bolts on to the front mountings for the rear subframe and carries the rear swinging arms

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Good to know, thank you
I was looking at enlarging the battery tray to sink some batteries between the subframe.

·
Registered
1971 Mini Marcos, Outlander Meiden Motor, Meiden Inverter
89 Posts
have a look on my instagram #electricclassicminis, theres a guy in chile that has done this by enlarging the original 'battery box' and building a while new box underneath to house the batteries.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
There is also a lot of space in the middle of the rear subframe - if you go to coil springs you can throw away the rear subframe and just have a single cross car member that bolts on to the front mountings for the rear subframe and carries the rear swinging arms
Thanks Duncan
Do you have any examples?
I'm looking online but not sure if I'm looking at the right thing

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
have a look on my instagram #electricclassicminis, theres a guy in chile that has done this by enlarging the original 'battery box' and building a while new box underneath to house the batteries.
Done!
If I can see how it's done I'll price it up and see if it's achievable.
If I can get 8 in the boot and 8 in the car it will make wiring much easier to keep with the 8s2p layout.
Then hopefully everything else can go in the front, I might yet still end up with a boot

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hi
converting classic Mini, cool. As Marcus says, the Norwegian small EV Think is a perfect donor for classic Mini. Take a look at my PU
That is very nice Caspar, it's also interesting to hear about the benefits you get like free parking.
What is the top speed please?
I will need to get to motorway speed (70mph)

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is very nice Caspar, it's also interesting to hear about the benefits you get like free parking.
What is the top speed please?
I will need to get to motorway speed (70mph)

hi, the top speed is based on the max rpm in the motor. I use the standard motorcontroller from Think (Siemens) and I think I have set the max rpm to 10.000, and that give me at top speed at apr 110 km/h and I think thats enough for a Classic Mini

Caspar

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hi everyone, it's been a while, I know, but work has been progressing on the Mini shell.
Can I have your opinions please?
The photo shows the height of the Zoe and i3 battery modules where the tunnel currently is, the Zoe is smaller so would be a less intrusive install however the i3 has 70hp MORE so the question is...

Which do I go for?

Zoe is less intrusive but has less power

i3 is more intrusive but has more power, I can swap a larger battery pack into my current i3 and use that one in my conversion but is it too big?

Tia

·
Registered
553 Posts
Both will be under your elbows, so it may not matter much for the tunnel. I would go through the effort of seeing where you'd have to put all the batteries before making a decision—one may fit the whole car significantly better than the other. 16 Zoes seems to take up a lot more precious space than 8 i3s, though you might be able to go vertical with the Zoes for the tunnel. It looks like you might be able to get one of either module under the bonnet atop the motor.

I'm no chassis designer, but that tunnel seems like an important structural member. I would make sure it can be reinforced if it's cutout.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Both will be under your elbows, so it may not matter much for the tunnel. I would go through the effort of seeing where you'd have to put all the batteries before making a decision—one may fit the whole car significantly better than the other. 16 Zoes seems to take up a lot more precious space than 8 i3s, though you might be able to go vertical with the Zoes for the tunnel. It looks like you might be able to get one of either module under the bonnet atop the motor.

I'm no chassis designer, but that tunnel seems like an important structural member. I would make sure it can be reinforced if it's cutout.
I reckon I can get 4 i3 batteries in the boot, if you think I can get one over the motor then that would free up some space in the cabin (ideally between the front seats)

I can get 8 Zoe batteries in the boot and 8 in the cabin but would have to raise the rear seat and mess with the sills.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Also I am confident we can keep any lost strength from removing the tunnel when then new tunnel goes in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I've borrowed some front seats from a friend and have cut 9cm off the i3 battery to allow for the tunnel height.
The batteries don't stick up much further than the seat so I'm happy with that.
With all the seats in place you can see there is no room for batteries under the rear seat as they stick out and there would be nowhere to out your feet!
I'm now thinking of extending the compartment bins and reducing the width of the seat but a few cm each side.
That should allow me to get 4 in the cabin, 4 in the boot and the rest of the gubbins up front.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
The i3 module mockup looks like it is touching both seats. In reality, there needs to be space for the tunnel wall and mounting clearances, so I don't see this module fitting in width.

By the way, the first two photos are duplicates and the last two are duplicate copies of the same corrupted image... but that one photo that made it is helpful. :)

21 - 40 of 58 Posts