DIY Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The i3 module mockup looks like it is touching both seats. In reality, there needs to be space for the tunnel wall and mounting clearances, so I don't see this module fitting in width.

By the way, the first two photos are duplicates and the last two are duplicate copies of the same corrupted image... but that one photo that made it is helpful. :)
Thanks, I'll try and sort those images out.
It may be that I have to go with narrow aftermarket seats to get the space needed. I do have the option of 1 battery going in the front if it needs to.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

·
Registered
553 Posts
Definitely consider wiring and coolant plumbing during placement. I thought I had a great scheme until the tolerances were so tight that I was throwing sparks trying to wire it up. Coolant plumbing can be unforgiving due to the need for large-radius bends to avoid kinking (though 90° elbows work).

I wanted to cut out the rear "pocket" but I didn't know how to mount the seat belt reel without it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Definitely consider wiring and coolant plumbing during placement. I thought I had a great scheme until the tolerances were so tight that I was throwing sparks trying to wire it up. Coolant plumbing can be unforgiving due to the need for large-radius bends to avoid kinking (though 90° elbows work).

I wanted to cut out the rear "pocket" but I didn't know how to mount the seat belt reel without it.
A possibility could be a taller pocket meaning there is still a mounting point for the seatbelt
I think there is only so far I can plan without the parts.
As for cooling as the batteries won't be tightly packed and our ambient temperatures are fairly low on average I don't think it will be a massive problem. I will look at putting some cooling in but I will have to figure that out once I have all the parts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Definitely consider wiring and coolant plumbing during placement....
Very right, wiring an plumbing (if needed) requires considerable space.
The reels could be mounted to the c-pillar's nuts, where the rear seat belts are. In that case you need different reels, as the original ones must be mounted vertically. Cutting the pockets eliminates the link between A-pillar and the bottom; must be replaced somehow.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The reels could be mounted to the c-pillar's nuts, where the rear seat belts are. In that case you need different reels, as the original ones must be mounted vertically. Cutting the pockets eliminates the link between A-pillar and the bottom; must be replaced somehow.
The pockets would stay, they would just be made larger to fit the battery inside.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Nice idea for the seatbelts, thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Exciting times ahead, I should be getting a salvage i3 this week, it has been in a collision and the airbags deployed. This should mean the HV battery pack is disconnected to make it safe.
Two questions
What level of charge should it have for long term storage?
Do you guys think it will still charge?
Tia

·
Registered
553 Posts
My understanding is that 50% is ideal, so figure err just over that.

If the systems are intact, it'll charge. If anything is missing...probably not.

Do you plan to use the motor? I'm wondering how to control it...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thanks, I'll try and charge it when it arrives.
The plan is to use as much as possible, I've been following The Blackhursts on YouTube and he has got a leaf motor running off an Arduino set up.
If I can't do that then I'll go Thunderstruck like you

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Cracking on with the bodywork, the replacement floor is in, I need to finish welding a few bits then tidy up and paint.
The next job will be to replace the front end.
After that I'll be taking the motor out if the i3

41 - 58 of 58 Posts