DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CNC cut and shaped metal for your project!

I don't spend a whole lot of time here on DIY electric car as I focus a lot on the smaller electric vehicles usually talked about more on endless-sphere but I figured you guys may have a need for some CNC work here too! So here is my offer:

Hello everyone I am hoping to offer a sort of CNC cutting service to anyone who may be interested. I have a Tormach 1100 CNC 3-axis mill at my disposal and have been learning very quickly how to use it. I've worked mostly in aluminum but really this machine can cut pretty much anything. If you just get me a drawing, autocad, or an idea of what you want I can make it out of metal for you.

Since I'm not a very experience machinist this service I going to try to price it as so, really I am trying to gain more experience that I can keep around. Here are a couple parts I cut out (the sprockets and belt drives were already cut as blanks and I cut all the windows, bolt patterns, insets, etc.)

This one was a hand and drill press made piece that I cleaned up and windowized with CNC

PM me with what you are looking for and I will price it out plus your metal cost. If you have a part you want to lighten or add windows to I can do that too but you would have to mail it to me.

If your are concerned about sending money to me you can look at my Ebay profile:

Magudaman : http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=magudaman&ftab=AllFeedback

and I also have over 500 posts at endless-sphere:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=993

I hope I can make some chips for you and have a beautiful part you can use on your vehicle.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I need a liquid cooled heatsink. About 12" x 6". I was planning to use two pieces of 3/8 alumimium plate with a gasket. Could you please give me a price for this type of job?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need a liquid cooled heatsink. About 12" x 6". I was planning to use two pieces of 3/8 alumimium plate with a gasket. Could you please give me a price for this type of job?
It looks like $40-$60 for the metal, then if I am doing the design maybe hour and half or two, 3 hrs shop setting up and cutting. I am not sure how complicated the design would be but if we did just something like 35 slots for surface area on both plates and a grove all the way around for a gasket or seal to sit in, I think around $120 + plus metal cost? I'm still getting working on making sure these estimates are realistic. :eek:

I was seeing a lot more complicated designs online that are pretty darn cool:

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
That sounds fine. Please let me know when you have a firm estimate and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds fine. Please let me know when you have a firm estimate and we'll go from there.
I sent a PM, the quoted price seems about right, but I need some more specifics. Here is just a quick mock up. The end product could have greater fin density.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I sent a PM, the quoted price seems about right, but I need some more specifics. Here is just a quick mock up. The end product could have greater fin density.

I would recommend copying the photo example a bit more, IE extend some of the fins to the end in a staggered pattern so that the coolant is forced to circulate through the entire cooling plate and can't simply take the path of least resistance.

Your prices are also very good for custom work. I also have a small CNC machine, and I typically charge a bit more unless the customer supplies a usable CAD file and I simply have to create tool paths from it.
What you are doing is a great way to learn though while making a couple bucks at the same time. As you get use to the machine it will become 2nd nature to use it for all sorts of things, mine has turned into one of those tools that I simply can't live without.

If you don't mind cutting MDF (horrible messy sawdust, and a bit hard on end mills) there is sometimes a large market for custom subwoofer enclosures for home/car audio.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I would recommend copying the photo example a bit more, IE extend some of the fins to the end in a staggered pattern so that the coolant is forced to circulate through the entire cooling plate and can't simply take the path of least resistance.
I was thinking the same thing, seems as if the fluid should be taking a serpentine path through all the fins. As it is now it would mostly flow around the edges with the fluid in the middle just sitting there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback, that was the actual plan. This was something I tossed together quickly to judge how long the cutting would take. It was simple to construct quickly. I am actually going to spend some time putting the real one together and I will be sure to take some photos as the progress goes along.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts