DIY Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Huh, it should be available to all. It's an Australian web site, so it might have been doing maintenance in the dead of night Australian time, which is probably morning US west coast time.
Here is what I got today... :(

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Sounds interesting - BUT I get an
[h1]Access Denied[/h1]
to that link - LOL members only? :D
It was in the "Ebay finds", which is in the For Sale forum, which has special access rules. Something about spam, I think.

Anyway:

========================

Mine arrived today, thanks Johny.

The economiser is surprisingly complex:

I count 3 chips, 3-4 tiny transistors, 1 medium transistor (just at my finger tip), and a host of small stuff.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have blow out 3 of the PCB's so far, got 26 more to go. PCB releases smoke after 20 seconds. Running 30A at 400VDC, and do not apply load till after the contacts are closed. Plan on running 90A and fails at 30A.

Will Call Manufacturer in morning... Note the different Rev of the PCB.

-Linghunt

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
What voltage are you applying to the contactors coil?

Are you sure you have the polarity correct?

I assume you are not using a diode since the contactor has an economizer built in?

I have blow out 3 of the PCB's so far, got 26 more to go. PCB releases smoke after 20 seconds. Running 30A at 400VDC, and do not apply load till after the contacts are closed. Plan on running 90A and fails at 30A.

Will Call Manufacturer in morning... Note the different Rev of the PCB.

-Linghunt

·
Registered
10 Posts
24 VDC fused at 5A. (3.8A inrush current). Yes, the Black is Common Bus and Red wire is the 24VDC.

Relay works just fine until the load is applied to the to the Contacts. We tested these relays last X-mas to verify specification, with 100A DC current through them and 600 VDC. The isolation of the contacts to the coil and circuit is my concern.

I will let you know how it goes. -Linghunt :)

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
24 VDC fused at 5A. (3.8A inrush current). Yes, the Black is Common Bus and Red wire is the 24VDC.

Relay works just fine until the load is applied to the to the Contacts.
Hi Linghunt,

I use these at 400 Vdc and up to 500 A. With 12 V coil circuits. I have never seen a problem like this. But I am interested to what may be causing it.

Is the 24 V circuit completely isolated from the high voltage? When you say common bus, it makes me think that the 24 V negative might be the same as the high voltage negative.

Is it possible to see your complete circuit?

Regards,

major

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Ground reference to the 24VDC supply at just one point on the common at the 24VDC Supply.

Do pretty good at keeping my Ground bus, Neutral bus, and Common bus seperate. The High Voltage line going through the Relay is (-) with the anode of the HV supply also referenced to the Ground. There is arcing on the HV line at times, but not yet during this phase of testing.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
I have a Ground reference to the 24VDC supply at just one point on the common at the 24VDC Supply.

Do pretty good at keeping my Ground bus, Neutral bus, and Common bus seperate. The High Voltage line going through the Relay is (-) with the anode of the HV supply also referenced to the Ground. There is arcing on the HV line at times, but not yet during this phase of testing.
That is confusing :confused: Do you have a diagram or schematic? If you don't want to post it, send it PM (or I will send you my email address). I will keep it confidential.

major

·
Registered
10 Posts
I understand, I tried to be clear, but its complicated. E Tech isolated coil with different 24VDC supply and was able to crank supply up to to 30KW.

The Common reference to the ground is the direction. Adding an isolated additional supply is direction I'm headed. I will post results. Schematic is multiple pages and IP. I'm trying to be careful on what I say, thusly the confusion. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
just don't tie battery negative to the chassis, then the spark in the contactor won't try to jump to the gnd of the 24v side trough the insulation of the contactor. prevents some other nasty accidents also (accidentally shorting positive of the pack to chassis doesn't harm anything if the negative is insulated as well, to name one.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Technician is adding a seperate 24VDC supply that will be isolated so the 24VDC common will not be referenced to the ground. Should have some results in a while.

Not had this type problem before, but not had to deal with a circuit on a relay coil like that before. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
We ran the Relays off of a seperate 24VDC Supply and isolated the 120VAC power to the 24VDC Supply. We ran one of the Relays for over an hour with 30KW of power going through it and had no problems. Went to a different relay and were taking a current measurement for coil current and the relay exploded. The Copper bus bent up and scared the crap out of the Technician.

We did blow up a relay early with same effect on the little circuit board.

Pretty strange. Going to verify the Power supplies are not hooked up backwards as we are using 3 High voltage power supplies per Relay.

Might have a Shorted Sputtering target as well. Will update was we figure this out. Will post a scaled down circuit schematic later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Final Report:

We did a 100% sort of all the relays, The relays with the PCB that had C8 installed failed, the Current through the Contacts was coupled to the 24VDC coil voltage.

The Relays without the Capacitor, were fine. The Relay that exploded must have had another flaw, air leak? unknown

I returned all of the parts to the Vendor via the Distrubutor for analysis and refund of $$. Not heard anything back to what they found.

I went with a different Relay (Gigavac). We got a sales sample and tested it hard with success. I ordered a complete set and did not see any problems with any of them. The completed Machine has been been running for almost 6 months now with no issues.

In my phone calls to various folks, It looks like there were political design issues associated with PCB. but this was hear-say.

Lesson learned: Testing a new component that is critical to a program, test multiple units. don't assume they are the same part even if they have the same part number.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update, Gigavac Relays still doing the Job. Not had any issues since. System is completely functional.

Never did hear back from Kilovac. They did lose a lot of business from me.

-Linghunt

41 - 57 of 57 Posts