DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey brand new here from Vegas.

I am wondering how I would go about using a tesla ac compressor (es34c) in a combustion vehicle. I plan to fully convert down the road but want to start here to keep driving it while other parts for conversion are sourced. Plus living in vegas as we all know is an absolute must!!!
From my searches this is what I have found out so far.

Things I will need.

Compressor (have from a 2013 Tesla)
Pwm controller (easily found on amazon or ebay)
High voltage source. (Not sure what to use).
Fuses (possibly and if so which ones?)
Appropriate wire gauges and connectors⁷

Now I will not be using a battery pack if I don't have to, to produce the 300+v needed for the compressor. So my questions are...

Is this even possible to run the tesla compressor on it's own system since it requires such high voltage? Or do HAVE TO go with a simple 12v and 110/220v one?

If so can I just use a 12v to 360v DC transformer to step up the voltage required by the compressor? Or do have to have battery packs to produce the 300+ volts? I realize I may have to significantly upgrage the alternator.

Are these all the components I will need to drive the compressor, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
In a DC system, a transformer makes no sense. You could use a DC-to-DC converter, but that's not going to be an inexpensive item, it won't have any value in the eventual conversion to EV, and the vehicle won't have the ability to provide enough power (at 12 V DC) to run the air conditioner without a greatly upgraded or additional alternator.

Why not just use a conventional engine-driven compressor until the conversion is done? Even if you need a new one, it will probably be cheaper than the equipment which would be needed to drive an electric compressor and would be surplus when the conversion is done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree it doesn't seem possible. Ok, possible yes. Logical or a good starting point for the conversion, probably not.

I don't know the KW use for that compressor. But, at 5kw you would need 416 amps if you could manage 100% efficient conversation from 12 volts up to the needed voltage.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Your problem is that you need to produce the power to run that A/C with your alternator. My truck has a huge 12V alternator at 160A. That puts you waaay shy of running a 5kW compressor at any voltage. So, your best/easiest bet is to run a 400V battery stack that you charge off the wall plug at home/work. Depending on how long you run it, we're talking 50-100 pounds of battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts