DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform!

It’s been a long time coming. Let’s face it. Sometimes older forum technology lags behind other parts of the internet. Although seeing the same format for a long time is comforting, the member experience shouldn’t include dealing with outdated, unsafe, slow software.

The transition to a new platform will never be 100% smooth but the days of dealing with out of date forum software are over. We have teams dedicated to building a world-class community for you. The development has been steady with regular software releases since May 2019. Asking members for feedback and coming up with ideas for improvement is what we want.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Our algorithm will serve a personal customized feed based on your prior engagement with content on the site. If you’ve liked and or commented, or are following certain topics that are of interest to you, similar content will appear at the top of the homepage.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, to help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing over the first few days after migrating. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Finding Your Way Around
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

Clicking your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

You can also navigate more by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations - Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase - Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
Take a tour and look around! Check out the Help section for some quick FAQs about the new platform.

Please keep all feedback, questions, concerns, requests for help, etc.regarding the new platform right here in this Feedback thread. This will help us make sure not to miss a request for help and also let us pass along your thoughts to our Product team. The Admins and I will be here to help along the way taking note of your comments.

- Community Support

·
Administrator
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will be here during your transition to the new platform, to help with any questions, help with navigation or how to do things, and to listen to your feedback so please don't hesitate to holler at me. I want to help. You can also check out our FAQs.

I do want to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Cricket. When I was born, my father told his friends I was the ugliest baby he had ever seen, and that I sounded just like a cricket (I was born with the hiccups.) so yes, I have been Cricket for 58 years now. I live just outside of San Antonio, Texas. I spend most of my free time out in nature and exploring the back roads. During late autumn when it starts to finally cool down, I disappear from the world for a bit for camping trips and hiking.

Please don't be afraid to explore and test out things to see how they work on the site.

Although you can certainly use the "insert image" icon to upload an image to your post, you can also just drag and drop it to the text editor or even copy/paste it into there!

You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

Gif links from sites like giphy.com will display automatically just by adding the gif URL directly in the text editor. Try it!

I am a huge fan of the dark mode for the community. What is your favorite feature?

We will be seeing regular updates to the site which are largely based on community feedback so we absolutely want to hear your feedback!

I have worked with our community support team for just over 5 years but I have worked with forums for closer to two decades. I won't always know the answers to your questions, but I can find someone who does, as needed. ;)

- Cricket

·
Administrator
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How To Find Subscribed Threads

Click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select “following” from the drop-down menu.

This will bring you to a page where you can choose to view followed discussions, forums, your discussions, and participated discussions.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Can you restore the "Garage" section of the website now please?

It's been broken for over a year. This was 50% of the content on this website. It was where everyone had their photos and car specs, you could browse through everyone's conversions.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
And, I can see that you've chosen to completely ignore the feedback about not publishing people's location based on their IP without their consent, despite this being a feature you could easily turn off.

You've now exposed the location to the world of every single forum member who's ever posted.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I've been through this multiple times on other forums.

Right now we have a 2 weeks with Cricket who'll actually read and respond to comments (not actually make any changes, but, at least someone's listening), and after that it's a ghosttown, takes weeks or months to get a reply from Vertical Scope.

He's mostly only here to tell you where buttons moved to and such.

A primer for everyone else:
  • "Threads" are now called "Discussions"
  • "Private Messages" are now called "Conversations"
  • To add to a thread, you just type in the text box at the bottom.
  • To quote a post and reply, you don't click "quote", you click "reply" which automatically quotes the post.
  • If you want to multi-message quote, that's the only time you click "quote", which adds it to a multiquote thing. I suggest just never using it.
  • In the upper right, your avatar, will have a red dot in the corner if someone PM'd you, replied to your post, or liked your post. If you click on it you can see which it was and can click on the items to see them.
  • The "New" comic bubble in the upper right of your screen is your new best friend.
  • When you click "new", it hides anything you've seen. I think most of you will prefer to have the threads you did check on to be greyed out, but not hidden, in case you want to reply to them later. That is not default behavior. By default it hides everything you clicked on from being visible. To fix it, click "New" and then follow these instructions:

- No more image limits per post, (old limit was 10).

Looks like the rest of my predictions last month were spot on: Announcement: New Site Update Community

And as expected, none of the requests were responded to and they went ahead and launched as is, violating everyone's privacy without their consent regardless.

For anyone bothering to read through this, here's what I suggest you support being changed:

1 - Un-break the ability to search for threads created by a user. First, it's hidden. Second, even if you know where to click, it's broken, the link takes you to all posts instead of all threads.

For example, you click on VSAdmin's user page: VSAdmin

And you want to search for only threads (not posts, whole threads) created by this user. Where do you click? The UI is garbage, you don't click on "Discussions Created", you have to click on the little number below (which isn't even underlined so that you'd have a clue that it's a link, contrary to standard UI for 20 years):

2 - Get rid of the sidebar on the right. The "Mountain Bike Reveiws" and "Home Entertainment" and "Top posters" and "Admins" and "BBB Accreddited" bullshit.

3 - Let the community choose the appearance of the forums. The amount of whitespace. Font sizes, etc. This should be the community's decision, not dictated to us.

4 - Restore privacy. Disable showing someone's location by default. Allow people to enter whatever they want for a location, not just choose from their list.

5 - Increase the amount of editing allowed, from 10 per week to 50 per week. That way no reasonable user will ever go over, but a bot will still get caught (or, a small bot isn't going to make a difference, 10 posts is plenty of harm). This inconveniences users and doesn't stop spammers.

6 - Improve the "Alert" system to be more like Youtube. Allow people to actually use the alerts (or other red dot items) to see the content without leaving the page. Right now I can see I have 4 "alerts" but not what they are or for, I have to click on them and leave this page. Youtube's system is much more intuitive.

(Add your own if you'd like).

I think those 6 are things that everyone would agree with, and, if so, maybe take time to reply here and and say so.

I know there's not many of us left here after the last transition (many people moved to http://OpenInverter.org to follow Damien and Johannes' efforts), there's still a few of us trying to stand up for the community and keep it going despite Vertical Scope's best efforts. (Trivia: Their goal with this whole redesign was to be more friendly to their mobile app. They screwed up their mobile app so badly that they've since pulled the plug on it. Without telling anyone, unless you specifically ask why X is broken on it. There's no support for it, stuff's just going to stay broken. Lol).

·
Registered
383 Posts
Your efforts are commendable, Matt...This upgrade seems to be about modernizing the software for easier maintenance with other forums as opposed to improving things for this community.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Your efforts are commendable, Matt...This upgrade seems to be about modernizing the software for easier maintenance with other forums as opposed to improving things for this community.
I think that's 5% of it.

95% of it is that advertising isn't cost effective anymore. The real value in an online community is data profiling and SEO. So this change ramps up all their data mining, building profiles on you whether you want to or not, and then selling this data to anyone willing to pay for it, including corporations, politicians, companies that want to influence elections nefariously, etc.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
On UI...

Why do you let people have user names longer than you are willing to let be displayed on a line. I.E. Mine.

<==== Look there.

MattsAwesomeStu
ff

Can't reduce the font or do a text check or anything? The give-a-fuck-ometer is pinging low off the scale.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Up until today, I have been able to “exit enhanced mobile view.“ Now I can’t seem to anymore. What has changed? Is there a way to change back?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Nope stuck with infinite scroll and a bad login system if you don’t use giggle or fbook.

dark mode is the only benefit here

odd how every forum has moved to this in the last 2 years

·
Administrator
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you restore the "Garage" section of the website now please?

It's been broken for over a year. This was 50% of the content on this website. It was where everyone had their photos and car specs, you could browse through everyone's conversions.
We are looking into if that data can be restored. I will update you when I hear more.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And, I can see that you've chosen to completely ignore the feedback about not publishing people's location based on their IP without their consent, despite this being a feature you could easily turn off.

You've now exposed the location to the world of every single forum member who's ever posted.
Members can choose their level of privacy.

How To Find Account Settings & Preferences

From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “account settings”.

Once you have clicked on “account settings” a new page will open. You can browse through the left side column navigation for the specific settings you are looking for, including privacy.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right now we have a 2 weeks with Cricket who'll actually read and respond to comments (not actually make any changes, but, at least someone's listening), and after that it's a ghosttown, takes weeks or months to get a reply from Vertical Scope.

During the transition to the new platform, the site does have dedicated support, which is primarily me. I stay for as long as I am needed.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please take a moment to browse through the Community FAQs and let me know if you have more questions.

Like most of us, I am a creature of habit, so it takes me a bit to get used to changes. (I was more than a little grumpy about it all at first.) Give it some time and I have a feeling you will find that it is much easier to navigate than it first appears. I am here to help. :)

We will be seeing weekly updates (approximately) that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Up until today, I have been able to “exit enhanced mobile view.“ Now I can’t seem to anymore. What has changed? Is there a way to change back?
The site is responsive, so it will adjust automatically for you from any device desktop to tablet to mobile.

Is the following what you are seeing?

Light Mode

Dark Mode

- Cricket

·
Administrator
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How To Find Your Content

From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner of the site, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “my profile”.

Click on the number below discussions.

You can also click your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select following.

On the following page, click on My Discussions.

- Cricket

·
Registered
290 Posts
2 - Get rid of the sidebar on the right. The "Mountain Bike Reveiws" and "Home Entertainment" and "Top posters" and "Admins" and "BBB Accreddited" bullshit.
You can do this by installing the Stylus extension, and create a rule for this site with the following CSS:
CSS:
div.california-popular-communities-container, div.california-sidebar-ad-sticky, div.california-sidebar-ad {
    display: none;
}
Alternatively, if you want the whole thing, including the navigation at the top, gone, you can use:
CSS:
div.california-thread-sidebar {
    display: none;
}
You can also tweak the page with and more using this, with some help from the page inspector (F12) in your browser of choice.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You can do this by installing the Stylus extension
True, but my criticism is for the benefit of the community as a whole. What makes it a better and more usable forum.

I also am not going to whitelist DIYEC from my ad blocker and I'm using a VPN and an isolated browsing profile, so, VS isn't getting much for useful data from me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts