DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm converting a classic Mini, and I've got the gas tank out...I was hoping to install a J1772 inlet in the fuel filler location, but the 70mm round opening is a bit too small for the J1772 charger to fit through. I don't want the inlet to poke out, so I'm exploring alternatives. I'd rather not cut the body if I can avoid it...

I would prefer a standard NEMA connector, but I do value the proximity feature of the J1772 connector...I want to make sure I don't drive off with the car plugged in, which I've absolutely tried to do several times in the past. Has anyone mimicked this in any way?

I was thinking maybe I could have some kind of switch that flips when a cord is plugged in, but I'm not really aware of any momentary switches that are flat enough to be out of the way...Maybe I could just detect the AC power and flip a DC switch somehow...?

I also thought about cobbling together a Tesla inlet, but I suspect that's a proprietary pain...

·
Registered
916 Posts
Did you check out Jack Rickard's build videos?

Pretty sure he did a couple Mini's, everything I've seen of his work came out immaculate

1 - 2 of 2 Posts