DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Latest NASA tech breif, system , airbone 1 megawatt APU (powerplant not specified) . Low voltage (<300V) and DC , Low -frequency AC (<1000 hz) short tansmition length (<30 meters) . hyperconductor = loses most of it's esistance at cryo temps . YBCO superconducting wire with a higher opperational temp (20-40 k. higher) then the older BSCCO wire . latest geneation of cryo coolers have long life (5-10 years no failures) . Prototype unit compleated in 2007 , Air Foce's initial (conservative) goal of 4KW/lb. much higher power ratios in future systems . 97% overall effiency with cryo cooling included . 10,000 rpm , 1.3 MW . 325 lbs with cooler (1300KW/ 4KW/lb.=325 lbs.) link ,rejistration required , The WESTIAC Quarterly,Volume 9,Number 1 http://wstiac.alionscience.com/quarterly

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
and I want one with batteries included. LOL ,as a motor or 4 motors. That's 5.2 megs at the same weight (power train)as the most advanced super car (Bugatti) with 6.970 times the hp.(batteries not included)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think Crodriver might be able to use it for a small project - eg. range extender for his bm. Or we turn it over to Todd to see what he can come up with - batteries included :D:D:eek:

Dawid

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I am very excited by this , not so much as a generator but as a motor . As stated many times higher power ratios can be achieved . I looked into this idea in the 1980's , that is cooling a motor ( aero starter/generator )at that time to modest cryo temps for very high output motor . As I remember a 10 x reduction in resistance .I can't remember the temp I found that 10 x . A interesting experiment would be to put a CO2 bottle on a EV drag racer and feed it into the cooling air . CO2 may be too conductive so nitrogen ( liquid) being -300 f. would better then -40 of CO2 . I would expect more power to the wheels from a given battery pack . added ;10x is way more then I though more like 4x at -300 f. , but the heat being removed at such a high rate could end up at 10x more amps

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
the only problems that I see is that most metals become extremely brittle at -300, and getting enough compressed gas to run for any distance cheaply. LN2 is rather pricey.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the only problems that I see is that most metals become extremely brittle at -300, and getting enough compressed gas to run for any distance cheaply. LN2 is rather pricey.
I was thinking for test only . stanless is good at cryo temps like 304 . the motor shaft could be a problem and be replaced with stanless .

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
This thread has a similar sound to threads by computer overclockers.

Make sure you do any flying with this setup daytime / VFR, ok? And, make sure you have enough space to get back to land if you let the smoke out... :D

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The heading was just the title in the nasa tech brief . It confirmed that with the new higher temp superconductors and advances made in coolers that 97% eff.is possible in motors or generators/with coolers factored . drag racing seams like it would be a great niche for developing this . night flying needs 2 things , a FLUR camera and lots of watts with big lights so I can see where I'm putting down , 2 independent systems and 3 independent power systems for them . A ev airplane with split battery works for me . ps if flying at night or day over forests or mountains a ballistic parachute .

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
based on experiences, 304 gets brittle too ( at least on the thruster test stand running Ln2 and hydrazine). Perhaps 17-7 ph or a 316 series ss?? what about the windings and the stator materials?

'chutes and engines are for sissies.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no old and bold pilots except Bob Hoover . don't know about what shock loads these motors can take or they experence .

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would think you might have problems with condensation. take and dump a co2fire extinguisher and watch the water form on the outside of the horn.

try packing the motor in dry ice.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If just blowing gas threw the motor water could condence on the outside of the motor not inside . ps : bush motors are brush limited so cooling may not do much .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts