DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife & I would like to conver our 2008 Saturn Sky Redline with automatic tranny to full electric. Losing the ICE and studidly included box in the boot should give beaucoup room for batteries and still have decent trunk space. So far every conversion shop I've contacted has refused to consider the swap because of the automatic. Why? What difference does it make if the tranny is a slush bucket or a cog cruncher?

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
So far every conversion shop I've contacted has refused to consider the swap because of the automatic. Why? What difference does it make if the tranny is a slush bucket or a cog cruncher?
  • The automatic is much less efficient when the torque converter lockup clutch is disengaged.
  • The automatic typically has no way to stay in gear without hydraulic pressure, and no source of hydraulic pressure if the car is stopped and the input shaft isn't turning. Because of that, with an electric motor that has no reason to idle, as soon as you stop the hydraulic pump in the transmission stops and the transmission drops into neutral; you try to move again and the motor spins without moving the car until pressure is built back up and clutches engage.
Dual-clutch automatics avoid these issues, but that's not what's in a Sky.

The problems of automatics can be fixed, expensively and with a lot of hassle. If I ran a conversion business I would refuse to touch them, too.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Sound like they use adapters to hook motors onto the input shaft of stick shifts. That's sooooo 2004.

To run the automatic transmission, you have to run the hydraulic pump - few in that clown posse know how to do it, even fewer would bother.

That pump is a power parasite that is completely unneccesary in a modern conversion. As is the need to change gears at all.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Why would you pay a workshop to do the entire conversion? You do realise that it'll be cheaper and better in the long run just to buy a new EV, Finance it, lease it, whatever. It'll work out cheaper, more reliable, better range, better quality, actual resale value, easy to insure.

Building a diy EV is something that the person should be well into, not doing because they think it'll give them a cheap EV. If they are well into it, then learning and doing your own work along the way is just part of the adventure.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Because:

1) Some people make a lot more money than the person doing the conversion. Serfdom by middle class.

2) Some people have no time to do it

3) Some people have no space to do it

4) Some people have no skills to do it, and don't want to gain skills to do it (which is why they don't have skills in the first place)

5) Some people buy their virtue signals

6) Some people realize they never finish projects

7) Some people are risk averse (high voltage, injury) to do it

8) Some people don't want to take on any potential liability risk to do it

9) Some people don't have the tools to do it

10) Some people don't realize the cost difference to do it

11) Some people love Saturns for some unfathomable reason and refuse to let them die

12) Some people are "job creators" - Congress stole $2T in 2003 from old and disabled people to give to those gracious employment conjurors

·
Registered
162 Posts
It can be done with a pump but it's added complexity and most businesses don't like to do non standard work. For example if the auto failed to work properly you'd probably complain to them right? They avoid that by refusing to do that work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts