DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Chevy S-10 LS 4x4 Club Cab
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone this is Hank W in the Colorado high country. My wife and son gave me a really cool looking 2002 S-10 Ls Club Cab for my retirement. I am planning on wrapping it this summer in High Gloss Black. Would also like to discuss what it would take to do a hybrid conversion. I have limited funding so I feel hybrid might be able to swing over cost of full electric. What do all of you out there ,suggest?,
Let's talk ,
Hank
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Snow

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
A really slick conversion would be to put the entire Two-Mode hybrid system from the 2008-2013 GMT900 trucks... but the transmissions would be hard to find and everything would be very expensive. A much newer equivalent would be the similar power-split hybrid transmission from the Cadillac CT6 PHEV; those must be rare.

A hybrid has a smaller battery than a battery-electric vehicle (much smaller if it isn't a plug-in hybrid), but the hybrid system is so complex that overall project cost might not be any lower.

You might try adapting a mild hybrid system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A really slick conversion would be to put the entire Two-Mode hybrid system from the 2008-2013 GMT900 trucks... but the transmissions would be hard to find and everything would be very expensive. A much newer equivalent would be the similar power-split hybrid transmission from the Cadillac CT6 PHEV; those must be rare.

A hybrid has a smaller battery than a battery-electric vehicle (much smaller if it isn't a plug-in hybrid), but the hybrid system is so complex that overall project cost might not be any lower.

You might try adapting a mild hybrid system.
So what would be a ball park figure on what a system like this would cost? Thanks for your input Hank

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do I suggest? Forego the pussy-boy, money-burning, wrap and spend the money on an electric, not hybrid, conversion.
The question I put out there only concerns the how to or type of electrical system. I am not discussing the wrap that is going to happen anyway.. That has been bought and paid for since christmas. Please take your ideas or opinio s to another website.. I don't do political opinions.. Have a good day..
Hank
Hank

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
It'll look real purdy with that wrap,up on blocks in the front yard after you get completely lost in that hybrid conversion fantasy fuelled by Brian's "all ya gotta do is...". Great idea - now go figure out the execution.

Different revision GM ECUs and modules hate talking to each other, so the entire electrical system needs to come out of the donor truck, including the entire wiring harness, instrument panel, engine sensors and all wheel drive unit. To add to the barrel of monkeys of fun, your engine will never start because it has a different reluctor wheel and CPS/camshaft drive, than an '08 and up and the TCU is also completely different. Then there's the DoD your truck does not have. And while you're at it, the oxygen sensors are also totally different, so yours need to go.

So now you're swapping engine and trans as well as harness, control modules, and instrument panels...oh, and finding somewhere to cram the hybrid system's battery because the S-10 compartment is chock full of V8 engine.

You're on your way to the purdiest yard art anyone got for Christmas in Colorado.

Go for it, Henry...people are always welcome to show me I'm wrong. Impress me with your wizardry...cuz all you apparently needed to know was how to wire it up.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Yes, but you're apparently a "left wing libtard" like I am, cuz pushing for the sensible, performance-choice (like your Moab-proven kickass conversion), and economically and budget supported full electric conversion is somehow "political".

I'd note that a real right winger would be dropping a 7.4 Powerstroke into an S-10, though, so swapping in, or "wiring up", a hybrid in Colorado High Country is pretty much a closet-Democrat move. I mean, yeah...."political" 🤦‍♂️ If you don't believe science or engineering, label it "political" or ask what Jesus would drive to pay back those Persian dudes that gave Him oil for His birth day (yes, it's not one word)

Likely won't get invited to go hunting for Elk with the lifted-F250 boyz anymore, cuz ya can't shoot a critter that is standing in an open field while you're laughing your butt off at your buddy's vinyl-covered hybrid "truck".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please give me a ball park figure for going FULL ELECTRIC, I have had one company
This just in: From FLASH DRIVE MOTORS rated " Best overall" on these type of conversions.
Hank,

This would be a pretty difficult conversion, but we would be up to discuss it. What adds complexity is the weight and lack of aerodynamics. Also, if this is an automatic transmission, that will also complicate the conversion process. My initial impression is this would be a Tesla swap that would replace the rear end with batteries in the front. This would give you the most range with the weight of the vehicle.

I would ballpark something like this around $75K.

James

This is the first pricing to convert my vehicle to electric 2002 Chevy S-10 LS 4X4 Crew Cab

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Full electric will be cheaper because hybrid is even harder. Cost depends totally on your skill and what parts you use. Converting my Land Cruiser with a donor LEAF cost me about $10k
Right
Full electric will be cheaper because hybrid is even harder. Cost depends totally on your skill and what parts you use. Converting my Land Cruiser with a donor LEAF cost me about $10k
PLease give me a ball park figure of going Full Electric. One company called flash drive Motors ha quoted me 75K last week. That is definitely not n my price range..Thanks Hank

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I am currently researching another conversion company:
EchoDrive PLEASE GROUP LOOK AT THIS AND LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS FEASIBLE. HANK

The company’s new EchoDrive bolt-on hybrid-electric system, which can reduce annual fuel costs by as much as 50-percent in some cases, consists of a Remy electric motor and a light-weight battery storage system.

In the near future EchoDrive will also be offered direct for installation on 2015 GM 2500/3500 gas-powered 2WD pickups. Installation is performed by an Echo-certified installer. Customers may choose to use a certified partner in Echo’s nationwide installation network or get training and certification for their in-house tech(s).

EchoDrive is being offered as a $12,500 upgrade. But that initial sticker shock is far less intimidating if you consider Echo Automotive has a lease program that is less than $200/month.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Aircraft engine Engineering Gas
Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Steam engine Machine
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This echo Drive system looks like a good possibility to me if we can get all the parts to fit, they claim only four hours to convert AND if you sell the truck they can be removed and installed in the new ride.

have a good night,

Hank

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle Car Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting Hood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Wait - you're having someone do the conversion for you or are you doing it?

@Electric Land Cruiser already gave you the cost of his conversion, all-in, him doing the work.

Yes, the auto transmission goes. The $75k was reasonable for someone else doing it.

The Ecodrive will work, but it'll take a 25MPG truck to maybe 28-30MPG. It's way overspec for an S-10.

That $5k Remy motor is capable of full electric, and needs a "Torquebox" at about $3k to hook to the driveshaft. Your engine and trans get punted and a battery pack goes in. So $8k for brand new full electric propulsion plus inverter, battery and accessories cost.

Then you need a battery pack. @Electric Land Cruiser was all in at about $10k using motor gearbox batteries and charger from the Leaf and kept his 4WD. Read his entire build thread as it is pretty much what you'd be doing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys this is what I have been wanting all along. The actual dollars needed for the nuts and bolts part of the job . WAY TO GO GUYS, you all ROCK.
Thanks Hank.
Colorado High Country

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I'd also note that Ecodrive system is 2WD only and your truck looks 4x4, unless it's merely a lift.

It cannot run electric-only around town behind an auto trans, nor will the trans live very long if you pop it in neutral going down long hills (my daughter was doing this to save gas I found out a few years after she smoked the trans).

You also have zero regen braking with a full battery and you'll need to be able to store about 2-3 kWh going down a 5 or 6 mile long grade, so the hybrid battery needs to be about half SoC (usable 20-80%) at the top of the grade, which it will be in the climb if it's full at the bottom. You may not have enough battery there if the grades are longer and I seriously doubt their (nonexistent?) battery cooling is sized for operation on long grades. You also need to ask how it works in cold weather.

I didn't do the detailed math - these are ballparking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good to know, great feedback, I do drive a 10 mile hill with a 2000 feet elevation change going from where I used to work to where I live,so it looks like I would need a huge battery system to make it work. I saw someone put all his batterys under the bed of his s10 and made a tilt bed. Looks kind of cool and worked for him
Hank

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I run a 6% grade, at times 8%, for 5 miles in a 3400 pound factory EV (Bolt) into town so know those numbers too well. Almost exactly half your run with half the elevation drop. Your weight should be in that ballpark, I'm guessing.

Not a huge battery...you'll need about 40-60kW to climb fully electric and about the same to be able to regen and slow down for curves going down hill.

You can do the math on the clock time and assume 20-80% SoC battery use for min pack size.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I run a 6% grade, at times 8%, for 5 miles in a 3400 pound factory EV (Bolt) into town so know those numbers too well. Almost exactly half your run with half the elevation drop. Your weight should be in that ballpark, I'm guessing.

Not a huge battery...you'll need about 40-60kW to climb fully electric and about the same to be able to regen and slow down for curves going down hill.

You can do the math on the clock time and assume 20-80% SoC battery use for min pack size.
Cost depends totally on your skill and what parts you use mate
Thanks for your input, Have a good day.
Hank
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Sky Cloud
Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting Hood

1 - 20 of 52 Posts