DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Chevy S-10 LS 4x4 Club Cab
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
A link to Echo Automotive would help. When I searched for EchoDrive I get guitar electronic, When I searched for Echo Automotive I find Echo Automotive Fails: Bolt-On Plug-In Hybrid Kits Used Bright Technology the article is dated September 5, 2014. Did the company start up again? or is this a completely different company?
later floyd
YES, this is the same company I referenced I missed the date when I found it. O Well maybe it was to good to be true anyhow. Thanks for trying. Hank

·
Registered
211 Posts
I hope some company bought the tech and is developing it again. Looks like there would be a market for it.
Another option might be using a Lexus GS450H transmission and inverter like @gregski is doing although the transmission looks huge compared to a S10 transmission from what I remember of the last S10 tranny I looked at close to 40 years ago.
later floyd

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I hope some company bought the tech and is developing it again. Looks like there would be a market for it.
Another option might be using a Lexus GS450H transmission and inverter like @gregski is doing although the transmission looks huge compared to a S10 transmission from what I remember of the last S10 tranny I looked at close to 40 years ago.
later floyd
Well with all the new technology now a days, I was hoping something would pop up less expensive and easy to install. One S-10 video on you tube I saw, the gentleman put all his batteries under the bed with a tilt bed. I really liked that plan. Thank you for your input.
Hank

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
So what would be a ball park figure on what a system like this would cost?
Many thousands. GM lost a lot of money on each 2-Mode that they sold because the components were so expensive, and almost a decade out of production those components will be expensive and hard to find. The CT6 PHEV is a low-volume variant of an expensive car with a hybrid system sharing nothing with any other model, except the battery.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
PLease give me a ball park figure of going Full Electric. One company called flash drive Motors ha quoted me 75K last week. That is definitely not n my price range..
A conversion by someone else includes a lot of their expensive labour, as well as buying every component from them. It's like getting a custom car built by someone else - unless your budget is something like "it shouldn't be much more than one hundred thousand dollars", you're probably not rich enough to be a customer for that sort of nonsense.

The point of "DIY Electric Car" is doing it yourself. That is much more difficult but replaces the huge labour expense with lots of your time and effort.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I am currently researching another conversion company: EchoDrive PLEASE GROUP LOOK AT THIS AND LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS FEASIBLE. HANK
The company’s new EchoDrive bolt-on hybrid-electric system, which can reduce annual fuel costs by as much as 50-percent in some cases, consists of a Remy electric motor and a light-weight battery storage system.

In the near future EchoDrive will also be offered direct for installation on 2015 GM 2500/3500 gas-powered 2WD pickups. Installation is performed by an Echo-certified installer. Customers may choose to use a certified partner in Echo’s nationwide installation network or get training and certification for their in-house tech(s).

EchoDrive is being offered as a $12,500 upgrade. But that initial sticker shock is far less intimidating if you consider Echo Automotive has a lease program that is less than $200/month.

View attachment 129590 View attachment 129591 View attachment 129592 View attachment 129595
That's a classic hybrid conversion approach. Azure Dynamics did that with their Balance system; the Balance descriptions were much more open about the complexity of doing this well, due to the changes to the engine controls to effectively control both engine and electric systems in a coordinated way. Like all EV conversion companies, Azure Dynamics eventually went bankrupt, too.

One hint that the EchoDrive material was out of date was the reference to a "Remy" motor, as that company became part of BorgWarner in 2015 and the Remy name is no longer used for the motors.

The actual cost would never have been that low.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I hope some company bought the tech and is developing it again.
But there wasn't any technology which was unique to them, so there wasn't anything to buy. If you like this system, you can put together a package and sell it; maybe you'll be the first to not go broke trying. ;)

The old GM 2-Mode, the CT6 PHEV system, and the various Lexus-branded systems in their rear wheel drive models are all fundamentally similar: a power-split transmission and hybrid drive system packaged to replace a conventional longitudinal transmission. For lower electric-only capability there are also several parallel hybrid systems that package the motor-generator in the bell housing of a conventional transmission; examples include some variations on the 8HP transmission series from ZF, the PowerBoost hybrid version of the Ford F-150, and the hybrid variant of the 2022 Toyota Tundra and related Toyota / Land Cruiser / Lexus models.

Transmission size (particularly length) is certainly a potential issue, especially with a truck as small as the S-10.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
One of the technical challenges of the AZD Balance and EchoDrive approach is related to the motor speed. In these designs a motor is used with a shaft that extends out both ends; the front end is connected to the transmission output and the rear end is connected to the axle. The motor acts like a section of the drive shaft, adding power to the shaft (as a motor) or taking power from the shaft (as a generator)... but that means that the motor turns at the speed of the shaft, which is very low compared to the usual speeds of electric motors driving vehicles. That means a relatively large motor must be used.

The parallel hybrid systems in production vehicles (such as the F-150 PowerBoost and Tundra Hybrid that I mentioned earlier) put the motor-generator between the engine and the transmission, so it can turn at a more consistent speed, and at low road speed it can turn much faster than the transmission output, allowing it to be smaller yet still effective. Unfortunately, that's a much more difficult place to mount the motor as a custom modification.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
A conversion by someone else includes a lot of their expensive labour, as well as buying every component from them. It's like getting a custom car built by someone else - unless your budget is something like "it shouldn't be much more than one hundred thousand dollars", you're probably not rich enough to be a obiouslycustomer for that sort of nonsense.

The point of "DIY Electric Car" is doing it yourself. That is much more difficult but replaces the huge labour expense with lots of your time and effort.
Brian, the problem I seem with the Do It Yourself concept is , no one person can or has given me the details needed to do the whole project step by step, listing prices and parts needed. You are right, I cannot and will not pay someone to do this at 75K this is totally unrealistic to put that kind of money on the nice little 6K truck I bought at christmas time. However if someone could do the whole thing for 10K and I did not have to mess with anything that would obviously be a done deal.
In my researching to see if this conversion either full electric or hybrid conversion is something I want to have done I have not fully explained to all of you what I call my "ACE IN THE HOLE".
My son and his best friend since childhood have this weekend hobby of working on his friends cars on the weekend. His best friend is a fully functioning Electrician with his own business and a fleet of vehicles. A few years ago this Best friend build a Lamborghini look alike on a pontiac Fiero frame and engine. His friend bought and set up his own vehicle repair shop with all the nice tools, he has a lift, tire machines and all the tools to do whatever I need. He even has a business name so he can get the necessary discounts for parts. He just doesn't. do business as a repair shop. So no labor charges for Old Hank would apply here, I would have access to all the tools needed, part discounts, and somewhere to build this for awhile, AKA "MY ACE IN THE HOLE" Please see my son who is a Software Engineer by daytime working on the truck he wrapped inside his best friends workshop. Now you know my secret. Have a good day, Work Safe, BE SAFE. PS: When you see these photos, remember this is a private shop.
thank you,
Hank W.
Colorado High Country.
Automotive carrying rack Sky Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior
Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
497 Posts
Brian, the problem I seem with the Do It Yourself concept is , no one person can or has given me the details needed to do the whole project step by step, listing prices and parts needed. You are right, I cannot and will not pay someone to do this at 75K this is totally unrealistic to put that kind of money on the nice little 6K truck I bought at christmas time. However if someone could do the whole thing for 10K and I did not have to mess with anything that would obviously be a done deal.
In my researching to see if this conversion either full electric or hybrid conversion is something I want to have done I have not fully explained to all of you what I call my "ACE IN THE HOLE".
My son and his best friend since childhood have this weekend hobby of working on his friends cars on the weekend. His best friend is a fully functioning Electrician with his own business and a fleet of vehicles. A few years ago this Best friend build a Lamborghini look alike on a pontiac Fiero frame and engine. His friend bought and set up his own vehicle repair shop with all the nice tools, he has a lift, tire machines and all the tools to do whatever I need. He even has a business name so he can get the necessary discounts for parts. He just doesn't. do business as a repair shop. So no labor charges for Old Hank would apply here, I would have access to all the tools needed, part discounts, and somewhere to build this for awhile, AKA "MY ACE IN THE HOLE" Please see my son who is a Software Engineer by daytime working on the truck he wrapped inside his best friends workshop. Now you know my secret. Have a good day, Work Safe, BE SAFE. PS: When you see these photos, remember this is a private shop.
thank you,
Hank W.
Colorado High Country.
View attachment 129625 View attachment 129626

View attachment 129628 View attachment 129629 View attachment 129630
It's just not financially feasible at this point in time to get your truck converted at an economical price. I spent $10k out of my pocket but it was a year of work and custom fabrication and it's still not right. $25k on the very low end you might get someone to convert it for you, but it won't be a Tesla.

The reason nobody has given you a parts list is because there is no easy button. There aren't really any kits out there. And the ones th as t do exist have nonexistent customer support. I am in Morrison, CO. Click on my user name and view my post history check out my build thread for exactly what I did. You can come check out my EV and we can chat sometime if you want.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
It seems he already has all the data:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
CALLING MR. REMY_MARTIAN,
What are you wanting from me? I am searching for answers to Full Electric or Hybrid Conversions for my S-10. I am totally confused at this time which way to go, everyone I have talked to have a different answer as to which way to go. I have seen no consistany or any standards in anyone's build .
Thank you,
Hank

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
CALLING MR. REMY_MARTIAN,
What are you wanting from me? I am searching for answers to Full Electric or Hybrid Conversions for my S-10. I am totally confused at this time which way to go, everyone I have talked to have a different answer as to which way to go. I have seen no consistany or any standards in anyone's build .
Thank you,
Hank
What I'm wanting is you sharing everything you know with this community, as it is useful to people, vs writing a blog among a bunch of idiots who somehow think an electric car running off a coal plant is dirtier than an ICE...it isn't, for the record. Your evangelism is great, your lack of countering facts is harmful.

This place is not a place for one on one answers, it's a knowledge repository that helps thousands.

If it was one on one, I'd be charging for my time as a consultant.

So, you know something, you found something, if it ain't here, you put it on here. FIRST.

That's what I want. Give more than you receive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
THE NEED FOR AN ELECTRIC PICKUP IS GREAT!!
Please watch this, to see what happened to her RED TESLA 3, Hint she made her own pickup. Please reply back if you like.

Please have a goodnight, hope you enjoy this.

Hank

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
There's a forum thread on "Truckla" already:

She was the project manager, hatched the idea, and funded it. Posed for photo ops, mostly, from what I can tell. A bunch of actual Youtube-personality builders flew into town and did it.

Kid had brain cancer, so I'm cutting her slack with what I'm posting about her abilities on that build.

Despite what she did for Tesla PR, Musk is still being a windbag on Tesla's pickup truck.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Despite what she did for Tesla PR, Musk is still being a windbag on Tesla's pickup truck.
She asked Musk if she could bring Truckla to the unveilling of the Tesla truck, and he said yes. She meant as like, a part of the show, but he just meant, yeah, you could show up same as anyone in the crowd could.

The event ended up being the unveilling of the Cybertruck, and with everyone scratching their heads, a lot of people just went outside and talked to her about Truckla :p

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thanks for letting me know about that detail, I am sure that day was ALL ABOUT MUSK, and not much praise about what she did with the creation of Truckla, however we and a lot of people agree that was no small project for her and her friends to undergo. It reminds me of what Mark Smyth does in Rhode Island, with SMYTH PROFORMANCE with the six sedan models that he sells kits to make utes or small pickups. I ESPECIALLY like his vw beetle and audi a4/s4 conversions. Have a great day, Work Safe, BE SAFE .
From Colorado High Country
Thank you,
HANK
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
³
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

21 - 40 of 61 Posts