DIY Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Chevy S-10 LS 4x4 Club Cab
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Good Afternoon all you do it yourselfers:
A couple of months ago I emailed Mark Smith of Smyth Performance and asked him uf he currently had any plans to cut up any current electric vehicles to make "Utes" ie small pickup not at this time but it might be coming later. He is waiting with what the Government is going to require in the future. Mark is the founder of factory five which has been making kit cars for years. His brother bought him out so he could start, SMYTH PREFORMANCE. He slowly adds
new kits every so often. He started out with vw Jetta/Golf, Subaru Impresa wrx, Audi a4/s4, Dodge Charger, more recently added the VW Beetle and Jeep Cherokee kits. All vehicle maintain the same frame and dimensions so everything that runs the car/truck remains the same, perfect for insurance and licensing. Everything to finish the new bed is complete in kit.
Please see examples below.
Thank you,.
Hank

Automotive side marker light Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Office equipment Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Alpha wolf , Pickup truck anybody ever heard of it. Small California Companies idea of a small pickup truck. Not fully developed yet but here is a very interesting video to watch. I am a S-10 owner looks very promising for some one like me. What do all of you out there in DIY Electric LAND Think???? Please reply anybody else think this is neat or not???
Hank

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Alpha wolf , Pickup truck anybody ever heard of it. Small California Companies idea of a small pickup truck. Not fully developed yet but here is a very interesting video to watch. I am a S-10 owner looks very promising for some one like me. What do all of you out there in DIY Electric LAND Think???? Please reply anybody else think this is neat or not???
A few years ago, it made some sense for startup companies to attempt to build an electric pickup, because that vehicle category was not available. Now that the major auto manufacturers are building them, there's no point - Rivian will be the only startup to successfully produce an EV as a pickup.

The existing and coming pickup EVs - Rivian R1T, Ford F-150 Lightning, Chevrolet Silverado EV - are all full-size trucks, because that's what most customers want. There may be a market for a smaller truck, and it will be a while before the mainstream manufacturers get around to providing them, but I don't see a large enough niche for a company such as Alpha to have a chance. They're too late into the game.

Although it will likely never be more than an idea, I like the size and style of the Wolf. It reminds me of the first pickup that I drove (and first vehicle I towed with, and first manual transmission that I drove), which was a Mitsubishi-built Dodge D-50. On the other hand, the proposed price is too high

These are the relevant links that I collected when this truck appeared online last year:
Motor Trend: Could the Alpha Wolf Bring Small Electric Trucks Back to the Future? SoCal EV startup to offer electric ute-like pickup that's nice and small, like they used to be.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
A few years ago, it made some sense for startup companies to attempt to build an electric pickup, because that vehicle category was not available. Now that the major auto manufacturers are building them, there's no point - Rivian will be the only startup to successfully produce an EV as a pickup.

The existing and coming pickup EVs - Rivian R1T, Ford F-150 Lightning, Chevrolet Silverado EV - are all full-size trucks, because that's what most customers want. There may be a market for a smaller truck, and it will be a while before the mainstream manufacturers get around to providing them, but I don't see a large enough niche for a company such as Alpha to have a chance. They're too late into the game.

Although it will likely never be more than an idea, I like the size and style of the Wolf. It reminds me of the first pickup that I drove (and first vehicle I towed with, and first manual transmission that I drove), which was a Mitsubishi-built Dodge D-50. On the other hand, the proposed price is too high

These are the relevant links that I collected when this truck appeared online last year:
Motor Trend: Could the Alpha Wolf Bring Small Electric Trucks Back to the Future? SoCal EV startup to offer electric ute-like pickup that's nice and small, like they used to be.
Kit Car | United States | Smyth Performance car to truck kits PLease check this link, this man Mark Smith is making a fortune in the new small pickup company he started five years ago. Some people still want them, only few maybe,, but then on the other hand why did the Maverick and Santa Cruz recently pop up. Have a great day. Thanks for your input,
From the Colorado High County,
Hank

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Some people still want them, only few maybe,, but then on the other hand why did the Maverick and Santa Cruz recently pop up.
The Maverick and Santa Cruz are larger than the old S-10, but they are an indication that there might be some life left in this category yet... but not likely enough to make a startup company work. Both GM and Ford went without smaller-than-fullsize trucks for years, and what they eventually introduced (Colorado-Canyon and Ranger) are huge - they're what would have been considered full-sized in the past, except for being a bit narrower.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The Maverick and Santa Cruz are larger than the old S-10, but they are an indication that there might be some life left in this category yet... but not likely enough to make a startup company work. Both GM and Ford went without smaller-than-fullsize trucks for years, and what they eventually introduced (Colorado-Canyon and Ranger) are huge - they're what would have been considered full-sized in the past, except for being a bit narrower.
Please let me make you aware Chevy is testing The Montana in Brazil, Ford is testing a new Courier both of these in the size range of my 2002 S-10. So I am going to dispute your claim now as to a market for a commercially made smaller pickup. Please enjoy the phot0s attached of smaller pickups being made for availability today Enjoy.
Thanks for your input.
From the Colorado High Country.
Hank

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Plant
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive side marker light

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Please let me make you aware Chevy is testing The Montana in Brazil, Ford is testing a new Courier both of these in the size range of my 2002 S-10. So I am going to dispute your claim now as to a market for a commercially made smaller pickup. Please enjoy the phot0s attached of smaller pickups being made for availability today Enjoy.
Thanks for your input.
From the Colorado High Country.
Hank

View attachment 129788 View attachment 129789
View attachment 129790 View attachment 129791 View attachment 129792

View attachment 129793 View attachment 129794 View attachment 129795
Brian, are you aware of the Lion Electric Co. in St. Jerome, Quebec, they are a new startup company GOING REALLY BIG IN CANADA, with their new Lion 8 All Electric Urban Class 8 Truck. Maybe they should or should not be allowed to start production, who knows what market is out there for them. Hank

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
A give them a break, they are trying to do right. Win a few, loose a few. Have a great day.
Hank
As a dude truck, your usage model, it's great.

Claiming a truck has 3 tons of hauling with an 85kWh battery pack is a joke. Model X tows 2-1/2 tons and you extremely rarely see one pulling a contractor trailer or car hauler. 10,000lbs GTW means about 1.3 miles/kWh on a good day.

If you're going to post shit here, expect technical analysis and critique.

You're also bordering on spam with the Smyth Performance stuff...once is enough for it to be noted.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
As a dude truck, your usage model, it's great.

Claiming a truck has 3 tons of hauling with an 85kWh battery pack is a joke. Model X tows 2-1/2 tons and you extremely rarely see one pulling a contractor trailer or car hauler. 10,000lbs GTW means about 1.3 miles/kWh on a good day.

If you're going to post shit here, expect technical analysis and critique.

You're also bordering on spam with the Smyth Performance stuff...once is enough for it to be noted.
And if you plan on using profanity when discussing things with me don't expect an answer. Hank

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
And if you plan on using profanity when discussing things with me don't expect an answer. Hank
FYI, I wasn't discussing anything with YOU, which must be why you did reply 😂 Again, the discussions in a forum are informational for everybody.

And, yes, spamming a forum with free disguised ads is inarguably poop, merde, kaka, dung, excrement...shit.

I was going to put up the dictionary's definition of the vulgar word, but I found the dictionary's use of the word more entertaining (yes, I'm a ten year old) and surprisingly applicable to this forum's purpose:

Font Screenshot Parallel Circle Brand

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Ok Everybody back to the Basics, It would be nice if I could find a supplier that could sell me a complete kit with everything i need parts, manuals ,videos you know the works for me and a few of my friends (yes i have a few) to install a electric conversion or hybrid undecided which now, in my 2002 Chevy S-10 Club Cab.
While searching the internet the past few days I found this statement about GM, was wondering if any of you know anything about this or was this a pipe dream that never materialized.

Nov 2, 2020 - 01:19 pmGM announces electric conversion kit
BEVBOLTCHEVROLETCLASSICCONCEPTCONVERSIONELECTRIC SUVGENERAL MOTORSSEMA SHOWSUPPLIERSUSA

Starting in the second half of 2021, General Motors plans to sell an electric drive kit for hobbyists with components of the Chevy Bolt, which will enable them to convert conventional cars into electric cars.
These include a 147 kW electric motor and a 60 kWh battery, as well as an AC-DC inverter, DC-DC converter, wiring harness and components for the battery air conditioning. The solution was actually supposed to be presented at the tuning fair Sema, but the announcement was now made digitally, just like the fair itself.
To demonstrate the capabilities of the kit, General Motors installed the engine in a 1977 Chevrolet Blazer. With this, the American company chose a particularly thirsty model for electrification: The Blazer K5 offers only two seats, but with its 6.6-litre V8, it hardly gets less than 20 liters/100 km. Nice side effect: With the kit, the top performance of the Blazer is higher. The V8 of the year of manufacture 1977 came only on 130 kW.

Hoping to find some reliable information from some of you in Do It Yourself People about this and could I adapt it to my S-10.
thank you
from the Colorado High County

Hank.
thumbnail (5).jpg
Sky Cloud Mountain Plant Vehicle
Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hot Rod Magazine
May 2022

Discusses the upcoming GM crate motor. It's based on the Caddy Lyriq.

That 2020 "kit" you posted fell flat on its face.

Do a search on this site.

We usually pick up on stuff here as, or before, it comes out.

You still don't seem to understand the degree of braintrust that's on this site.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Please let me make you aware Chevy is testing The Montana in Brazil, Ford is testing a new Courier both of these in the size range of my 2002 S-10.
Those are coupe utilities. They have been and continue to be available in much of the world for decades, but the few that were offered here (VW Rabbit Pickup based on the Golf/Rabbit, Subaru BRAT based on the Leone, Dodge Rampage based on the Omni/Horizon) are long gone, because there has been little market for them in North America.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Those are coupe utilities. They have been and continue to be available in much of the world for decades, but the few that were offered here (VW Rabbit Pickup based on the Golf/Rabbit, Subaru BRAT based on the Leone, Dodge Rampage based on the Omni/Horizon) are long gone, because there has been little market for them in North America.
There is a beginning resurgence for smaller trucks over the last few years some private companies making lots of money and staying very busy converting sedans into pickups. The major car makers Ford, Chevy, and Ram/Dodge are now ramping up to make smaller trucks than on the market now. I like the Alpha Wolf smaller electric truck coming out of Califonia. Thanks for your input. Have a good day.
From the Colorado High Country,
Thank you,
Hank

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
The Amero-centric view of the world, despite this forum being chock full of "foreigners" 😂

In SE Asia, meanwhile, a Colorado is a rare, big, pickup truck and the HiLux rules.
You are divintely right with that one Hilux Rules.
Several years I think it was a team of 3 Hiluxes went to the North Pole successfully, I will have to find the details for you.
Hank

Top Gear North Pole Special season 9 episode 7
July 25, 2007

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Good morning everybody,
I am starting to get cold feet about doing any kind of a electric conversion on my S-10. All of you have been very helpful in giving advice about equipment needed, parts, cost, and everything else, to full electric or hybrid.
I guess I was hoping to find in our modern high tech world, something in my way of thinking was quick and easy. All of you have basically stated that's not going to happen.
My purpose was not that I was trying to be eco-friendly by going green. Bottom line here, just trying to make my truck work economical and beat the rising cost of gas. Have a great day, thank you all again for helping me come to this decision..
Thank you
Hank

41 - 60 of 61 Posts