DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted here before with a different VW kit car build which was a 72v Wilderness EV kit in a Bentley kit body roadster. At that time I was using Trojan 12v LA batteries. Pretty straight forward and easy build.

Recently I purchased another VW kit car that has from what I can tell a pretty complete set up. The body and chassis are trashed but I have another VW kit car that I'm thinking about using it in.

What I have is the following:

1) NetGain Warp motor 9" w/ Porsche / VW Adapter Plate (I believe its a 156v motor)
2) A Juice Box Open Source Level 2 Charging Station
3) Some sort of on Board Charger / Controller that I'm hoping you can help me identify (appears custom made).
4) A Power Max PM3-100 Charger (I'm guessing this is to charge a 12v accessory battery).

I have it all listed for sale however I am also considering using it in another build.
The PO may have been on the forum before and maybe some of you will recognize these parts IDK. I'm hoping you all can help.

I'm very experienced it VW and kit builds. That part is easy for me. What I don't have experience with is the Battery tech and any knowledge with these components.

My 72v Bentley was fun. 47mph max speed and about 25 miles range when the batteries were new. Fine for a neighborhood car, taking the dog to the dog park, and a few car shows. It was just so limited it didn't get much use. I got about 2 good years out of the batteries.

The car I'm considering putting this in is a Sterling Kit Car. The PO also had it in a Sterling but the body and chassis are too far gone to use. I have built other Sterling kit cars and am currently finishing 2 VW powered Sterlings. I have a 4th car which is the build I am considering going EV. I have everything to build it as an ICE car already and since this recent purchase I hope I have most everything excluding batteries to go EV.

So my questions are .....
#1 with the Sterlings aggressive sports car looks, will these components be able to cash the checks this car will write? (meaning will it have sports car performance)
#2 is a 100 mile range out of the question with about 5k in batteries?
#3 what am I missing besides batteries that will drive the cost of the build up considerably?

Thank you in advance for your insight. I'm going to post some photos of what I have.

1.jpg
4.jpg
10.jpg
6.jpg
13.jpg

·
Registered
165 Posts
The thing you have opened up is indeed a charger, and looks like it was probably custom-built. The unmarked silver housing is most likely a DC motor controller.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That charger is capable of 10Kw I think. its an Electric motor werks open source DC charger.

·
Registered
598 Posts
You'll be able to smoke the tires rather easily, I expect. It depends more on the batteries than the motor.

·
Registered
165 Posts
what batteries are best for a project like this and how many would i need?
For 100+ miles, you need tesla battery modules.

If you're in the US (east coast), I'll be buying 10 modules soon and we could both save some money by buying a 16-module pack and tearing it down ourselves. A whole pack costs around $15k, but I'll be paying the 10/16ths of the price since I'll be using 10 of the 16 modules. Let me know if you're interested.

6 tesla modules at around 22v nominal each is about what you would need voltage wise if you were to connect them all in series. That would be around 30kwh. Anywhere from around 75-150 miles of range depending on how much the car weighs and it's aerodynamics.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
For 100+ miles, you need tesla battery modules.
6 tesla modules at around 22v nominal each is about what you would need voltage wise if you were to connect them all in series. That would be around 30kwh. Anywhere from around 75-150 miles of range depending on how much the car weighs and it's aerodynamics.
If you just want 30 kWh, there are many ways to get it... the modules of nearly any current production EV could be used, not just the Tesla Model S/X.

If your controller is limited to, for instance, 135 volts (nominal), then you if you want to get to 30 kWh without modifying modules to parallel more cells you need 3/8ths of a full 360 V (nominal) pack; that implies a full pack capacity of 80 kWh. There are not a lot of choices at that size, and so the obvious solution is to choose a higher voltage configuration; for instance, half of a Chevrolet Bolt pack would work (180 V), or three-quarters of any of the 40 kWh packs (e.g. Nissan or Kia; 270 V).

When the specifications of the mystery controller are determined, or the controller is replaced, then the voltage limit will be known and the battery configuration can be determined.

·
Administrator
6,295 Posts
If you just want 30 kWh, there are many ways to get it... the modules of nearly any current production EV could be used, not just the Tesla Model S/X.

If your controller is limited to, for instance, 135 volts (nominal), then you if you want to get to 30 kWh without modifying modules to parallel more cells you need 3/8ths of a full 360 V (nominal) pack; that implies a full pack capacity of 80 kWh. There are not a lot of choices at that size, and so the obvious solution is to choose a higher voltage configuration; for instance, half of a Chevrolet Bolt pack would work (180 V), or three-quarters of any of the 40 kWh packs (e.g. Nissan or Kia; 270 V).

When the specifications of the mystery controller are determined, or the controller is replaced, then the voltage limit will be known and the battery configuration can be determined.
That looks like a P&S - 500 amp 150 volt controller - built from a kit
You may have difficulty in fitting 100 miles worth of batteries in the body - space!

Have you had a look at your actual driving needs?
When I looked at my pattern I was either driving less than 50 km - or over 150 km - so I went for a smaller pack - cheaper and lighter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts