DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my daughter wants to do a science project. Her idea is to convert a 2002 Ford Explorer to EV and use solar to assist with recharge while we drive it around the city. So this creates some questions. We are trying to keep this very budget friendly.

We chose this vehicle based on cost "free"

What size motor? I was thinking 40hp at 120v
Accessory motor or a better way to maintain the brakes, ac, power steering?
And the last question was the transmission. We would like to keep the automatic transmission rather then have to replace.

Thanks for all the great info I have been reading for days learning.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
We would like to keep the automatic transmission rather then have to replace.
Just because you already have it and it's free? It's probably cheaper and easier to swap in a manual transmission than to convert the automatic so that it is suitable for use with an electric motor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just because you already have it and it's free? It's probably cheaper and easier to swap in a manual transmission than to convert the automatic so that it is suitable for use with an electric motor.

Your spot on. I realize I forgot it is a 4wd I don't know if that changes the expectation on the transmission.

I was also hoping to keep it automatic to make it simpler on my kid to drive as well.

It is a XLT 4dr 4x4 2002 Ford Explorer
4.0l v6 = bad motor already
210hp
Cub weight is 4,374 lb
3rd row seating - That's coming out

If we could maintain the 4wd aspect would be pretty cool. It is 4wd via switch / vacuum actuator not all the time.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
I realize I forgot it is a 4wd I don't know if that changes the expectation on the transmission.
If we could maintain the 4wd aspect would be pretty cool
If you're retaining the existing 4WD system, then the tail end of the transmission must match the input of the transfer case, but there are manual transmissions which would fit.

This third-generation Explorer has a relatively radical (for the time) combination of four-wheel independent suspension and a traditional 4WD system, but the transmission is quite conventional. A Mazda M5OD 5-speed manual transmission should fit (although it may have only come in the short 'Sport' version of this generation of Explorer); the transmission probably wouldn't need to come from an Explorer, but it would need to come from a 4WD vehicle to have the right tail housing for the transfer case. Yes, many Fords (including even the F-150) have been built with Mazda manual transmissions.

I was also hoping to keep it automatic to make it simpler on my kid to drive as well.
Or you could convert it to manual, and make learning to shift a manual transmission part of the experience. A manual EV is much easier to drive than a manual vehicle with an engine, because there is no reason to slip the clutch when starting off, and no risk of stalling.

There is also the option of using a very large motor which could provide adequate performance if just connected to the transfer case without other gearing (so, leave out the original transmission and don't replace it). There have been lots of discussions in this forum of this approach (often confusingly called "direct drive", although the motor doesn't directly drive the wheels), and of configuration options for traditional 4WD vehicles like this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian_
thanks for the idea of a mazda transmission. I could endeavor to teach her she is a smart kid.

I considered direct drive but at 4k lbs already that would be a beast of a motor. I was thinking of a https://www.evdrives.com/product_p/mot-es-31b.htm at 120v which would probably be sufficient with a transmission but doubtful without.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
I considered direct drive but at 4k lbs already that would be a beast of a motor. I was thinking of a https://www.evdrives.com/product_p/mot-es-31b.htm at 120v which would probably be sufficient with a transmission but doubtful without.
Yes, it's a heavy (and high-drag) vehicle, but that's actually not an especially large motor - it's long, but not large in diameter. Assuming that you are only considering series-wound brushed DC motors, you might look at 11" diameter motors... preferably salvaged from an old forklift rather than purchased from an aftermarket supplier, given the budget.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it's a heavy (and high-drag) vehicle, but that's actually not an especially large motor - it's long, but not large in diameter. Assuming that you are only considering series-wound brushed DC motors, you might look at 11" diameter motors... preferably salvaged from an old forklift rather than purchased from an aftermarket supplier, given the budget.

So that motor was on my list primarily as it was listed at peak 60hp and relatively local and getting a deep discount. But considering the vehicle it sounds like it isn't suitable.

Is this more in line?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crown-0201...848545?hash=item2881e34ae1:g:DXsAAOSw4wRdO2Nm

Appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
152 Posts

So that motor was on my list primarily as it was listed at peak 60hp and relatively local and getting a deep discount. But considering the vehicle it sounds like it isn't suitable.

Is this more in line?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crown-0201...ages/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]XsAAOSw4wRdO2Nm

Appreciate all the help.
That looks like a 9inch - I believe it'll be way too small to shift 2 tons of Explorer..
This one's on ebay and it's a 12 inch.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/362702124721

1 - 8 of 8 Posts