DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm considering converting my current Lotus eclat project (1982) to an ev. I'm handy mechanically and electrically, having converted a beetle to beach buggy (which has currently lost its garage space!).

I've read through the site and calculators and see an equivalent conversion on a '74 lotus elite. This has the kinds of design performance I'd be after, top speed of 90mph, needs to have acceleration of the equivalent ICE (if not better) and a range of 120 miles.

This seems to equate to around 220 wh/mile. The gross weight of the car is 1055kg, the existing ICE is 140kg. So the overall weight will be higher, assuming that I'll bolt the motor onto the existing clutch/gearbox.

I'm not sure whether I should look to use the clutch mechanism to help with alignment? Is the setup that Scott has used the one I should consider now (http://www.evalbum.com/4524), or have things moved on? Should I consider a crashed donor ev for batteries and as much kit as would be useful? Overall I'm happy to build as much as I can however my electrical diagnosis skills (controllers) might not be good enough.

Appreciate views
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
GOT a 1975 lotus elite an D&D ES-31B 144v motor in it.

still got the clutch and gearbox .

400A Kelly controller 9 x 110 amp cheap LA batteries ruining at 112v .

It run drives chargers but not on the road yet 2018 i hope.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for sharing the details of your conversion plan, I'd really appreciate any details on how you've mounted the motor/components etc.

What performance are you looking to get, top speed, range, acceleration...?

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts