DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few months of owning a BMW i3 I've decided that I just can't bring myself to ever buy an ice vehicle again, and infact want to replace my existing ice work vehicle (2005 Honda Element with 230,000+ miles) with an ev. As near as I can tell, my only choice is a used Azure unless I want to buy a brand new Zenith (I am open to other suggestions). The azure transit is the perfect size for me, but the EPA range, 56 miles, is a bit low for my needs. I could get away with 75-100 miles of range, or DC fast charging, and that is why I'm here: what is involved in upgrading the batteries, and is DIY DC fast charging possible? I imagine either solution would cost several thousand dollars, which is fine, I just don't know what my options are or how to proceed. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'll bet all that is possible... but probably more expensive than you want... Last I heard the orion BMS can take care of the chademo, not sure about CCS fast charging... I bet you would have to replace all the batteries instead of adding more since my guess would be that you would want them all to match. Probably a $10k+ project. I too wish there were more options for roomier vehicles...

·
Administrator
6,141 Posts
Hi Eluv
How about getting some contactors so that you can run an "either/or" system - then you could get something like a Chevy Volt pack and run either the existing battery OR the volt pack (reconfigured for your voltage)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is using additional batteries really as simple as adding a contactor? Would I need a second charger/bms? This seams like a reasonable solution.

·
Administrator
6,141 Posts
Is using additional batteries really as simple as adding a contactor? Would I need a second charger/bms? This seams like a reasonable solution.
If you have a second pack the same voltage as the first pack then you can

(1) simply put the two together in parallel - then use the same charger
This could lead to problems if there is a fault with one pack

(2) set up two different packs and keep them seperate - you will be able to use the same charger but you will need contactors - PLURAL to operate them separately
Four for the charger and four heavy ones for the batteries

If the packs are different voltages then you will need two chargers - one for each pack

I'm not a great fan of BMS's - I use a simple Lee Hart Batt Bridge to see if I have a problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts