DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone recommend a motor controller for a GE 180VDC seperately-excited EV traction motor? Max momentary amp draw observed is about 300 on steep hills. I'd prefer a 1000-amp controller.

Max voltage is about 215.

Everything I'm finding has too low a voltage rating, or is for series-wound motors...frustrating!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Most sepex controllers are low power, like 60 kW or less. This is not a recommendation for or against, but Kelly has a 144 kW nominal sepex controller:

http://kellycontroller.com/hse141011000a144vsep-ex-with-regen-p-903.html

If you decide to get one please post about your results. I too have a sepex and I'm considering getting one. My dream is Zilla levels of power, but for sepex I think this is the highest spec power you can get.
Can anyone recommend a motor controller for a GE 180VDC seperately-excited EV traction motor? Max momentary amp draw observed is about 300 on steep hills. I'd prefer a 1000-amp controller.

Max voltage is about 215.

Everything I'm finding has too low a voltage rating, or is for series-wound motors...frustrating!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, David,

Thanks for the quick response...but this controller is rated at 144 volts...I am running as much as 215 fully charged...180 nominal. Won't that fry something?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yep, sadly, it's not spec'd for that much voltage, but it is the most powerful sepex controller that I'm aware of. The specs do say to not exceed 180 Volts, so you might be able to go a bit higher than 144 V. Don't forget your Voltage will rise during regen. Which controller did you use before?
Hi, David,

Thanks for the quick response...but this controller is rated at 144 volts...I am running as much as 215 fully charged...180 nominal. Won't that fry something?

Thanks...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which controller did you use before?
It is a '93 Dodge TEVan; it has NiFe batteries and the controller is built-in. I am working with the original GE designer of the controller, a fellow named Bill Reynolds, to get it fixed, but I am trying to explore my options. I *do* have ALL the wiring diagrams for it (including the logic card) so I may end up trying to reverse-engineer it. I may also end up just removing a couple of batteries and lowering the voltage, or replacing both the motor and controller. I'd like to keep it as original as possible, but...like I said, I'm exploring my options...I'd rather have it running and reliable than original. I understand that GE might make a forklift controller that'll do...but I can't seem to find it online....

·
Registered
312 Posts
PM both Tesseract and Qer and ask them to please stop work on all their frivolous ideas like sol jr., big sol and sol 3, and start working on a sepex soliton right now!

Their have been a few people looking for a decent sepex controller. For a higher voltage solution, try a Soliton 1. Use a dual pot setup, and hook the other pot to a smaller controller, that can exceed your field current. The motor will now behave somewhat like a series motor, and you will lose some torque at higher revolutions. As long as the smaller of the controllers can handle the pack voltage, this should be workable.

If you do not want to do all that, you can also use a Open Revolt controller. You would need to modify the design to support igbt's and a second pwm, but I think it might be do-able. This way you can even get some regen out of it. If you are serious I can help a little bit with the design and software.

regards
Dawid

·
Registered
251 Posts
This is for the GMC G-van.....

http://www.coopercontrols.co.uk/components/motors.htm

might work for you also.

I don't know if the Dodge TEVan has the same internals as the G-Van.

But it might be worth a try.....

I have been looking for one aswell......

I know Chennic has some 156V Sepex on their website, but I sent mail to ask for prices but got a really strange answer So i guess they aren't ready with the prototyps yet.

If you can find a controller from a PSA (Peugeot Partner or Citroen Berlingo) car from europe, they use 162 ish volts in their Sepex Leroy Somer setup but could probably work up to 200v they use IGBTs in thier controllers.

Renault used 114v nominial in their Sepex ABB setup, but they can be run up to 148v max.

But the Cooper is IGBT and should be most suitable for your voltage.

I would love to see a Solition SepEx from evNetics But i guess I will wait in vain.

There is a Open Revolt AC/SR/SepEx controller in the works that could be fitted with proper IGBTs to drive such a motor, you could check that up.

Regards
/Per

·
Registered
159 Posts
It is a '93 Dodge TEVan; it has NiFe batteries and the controller is built-in. I am working with the original GE designer of the controller, a fellow named Bill Reynolds, to get it fixed, but I am trying to explore my options. I *do* have ALL the wiring diagrams for it (including the logic card) so I may end up trying to reverse-engineer it. I may also end up just removing a couple of batteries and lowering the voltage, or replacing both the motor and controller. I'd like to keep it as original as possible, but...like I said, I'm exploring my options...I'd rather have it running and reliable than original. I understand that GE might make a forklift controller that'll do...but I can't seem to find it online....
Clipper,

Rod Hower had one of these TEVans and was involved in the design as well while at GE.
He is active on the EV Tech list (evtech.org) and also the EVDL.
I have his e-mail address so pm me if you are interested in that angle.

You said that you "found it"

What is it? :confused:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clipper,

Rod Hower had one of these TEVans and was involved in the design as well while at GE.
He is active on the EV Tech list (evtech.org) and also the EVDL.
I have his e-mail address so pm me if you are interested in that angle.

You said that you "found it"

What is it? :confused:
Hi,
Thanks...I spoke with Rod on the EVDL...there's also a fellow named Bill Reynolds I'm working with who just retired...he used to do the MCU design and testing for the TEVan. I'll be pulling the logic card and sending it to him. He thinks the IGBT's may have smoked, and took the gate circuits on the logic card with them.

From what I've gathered, Rod worked more on the charger, (i.e. wrote the software for it) and Bill worked more on the controller.

"Found them"...I had originally posted that I couldn't find the controllers on the recommended webpage, but I hadn't read it carefully enough. Couldn't delete my post!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Heck, I thought I was the only one who couldn't get rid of my errors!

It sounds like you've gotten some good traction on finding a solution.
Please keep us posted on your results and what you learn.

There are quite a few SepEx motors out there and there is precious little for them in the way of controllers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Rimshot...!

It sounds like you've gotten some good traction on finding a solution.
Rimshot....! No pun intended, huh? :p

Please keep us posted on your results and what you learn.

There are quite a few SepEx motors out there and there is precious little for them in the way of controllers.
Wahoo!

I just got off the phone with a fellow named Larry Machak at American Traction Systems in Florida:

http://www.americantraction.com/contact/sales_service_directory/
http://www.americantractionsystems.com/index.php/products/custom/

They do SepEx controllers for the hard-rock mining industry that are usually 120VDC and 240VDC...he says they've done road vehicles, including a land speed record holder, and mods like this before, and doesn't think it's a big deal. He's going to email me info and pricing.

Yippee! My first ray of hope. When two-dozen people in the motor controller industry tell you over two weeks that "no one does those kind of controllers anymore," you get a little discouraged, you know?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts

They do SepEx controllers for the hard-rock mining industry that are usually 120VDC and 240VDC...he says they've done road vehicles, including a land speed record holder, and mods like this before, and doesn't think it's a big deal. He's going to email me info and pricing.
Good company. You'd better be sitting down when you see their price :)

I'm interested in what they say. Good luck.

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

Please do let us know what you find out. Kelly has a 144V 1000A sepex listed on their page for ~$1900.
Rimshot....! No pun intended, huh? :p

Wahoo!

I just got off the phone with a fellow named Larry Machak at American Traction Systems in Florida:

Yippee! My first ray of hope. When two-dozen people in the motor controller industry tell you over two weeks that "no one does those kind of controllers anymore," you get a little discouraged, you know?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I f
Or just wait for the Open Revolt AC/SR/Sepex at:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...-3-phase-inverter-ac-controller-10839-49.html

Regards
/Per

That SR controller needs some work before it will run a sepex. Any volunteers?

Maybe we should just do it Army-style?
All electrical Engineers and Embedded Developers, One step Forward!!! :D:D:D

I will be looking at it in more detail this weekend, and will report back. I know there are a number of people with sepex motors, There is a definite need for a sepex controller, so if anybody else is willing to help, please!

Dawid

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have a couple of IGBTs that would love to do some work...

But I'm no EE i'm more of the CS person.
But I have a Large ABB sepex that just longs for some heavy duty Controller to make it launch

I have two Dual 800a IGBT and some smaller IGBTs for the field.
But I need a good driver for them to connect it to the Control card.
And some really good caps......

Does the Open Revolt AC/SR/SepEx have voltage sense on the output side(motor side) and on the input side(battery side) ?

That would probably be needed to have a reliable field reduction and also for the Regen to limit pack voltage.

I have batteries and stuff to set up a testset.
Need to borrow a scope though. But we've got one a t work that I can borrow.

I would love to contribute.

Regards
/Per

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
PM both Tesseract and Qer and ask them to please stop work on all their frivolous ideas like sol jr., big sol and sol 3, and start working on a sepex soliton right now!
How do you suggest we handle the issue that every SepEx motor needs a unique field map? How do we allow regen to occur when there is a gross mismatch between pack voltage and nominal armature voltage, especially if the motor doesn't have interpoles?

Finally, how do we justify the higher cost of the SepEx controller (and more complicated software needed to manage it) when an AC inverter isn't much more expensive and has less issues overall to deal with in implementation?

In other words, a good high-power SepEx controller isn't much less expensive than an AC inverter. Since the EV world is slowly, but inexorably, moving towards AC it seems making a SepEx controller would be a step backwards, no?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts