DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have worked on cars for nearly 60 years, now we live in France since 2004.
I would like to build a Hybrid and convert my Fiat Multipla.
We also have a 1980 ERAD sans permis which has a 50cc two stroke engine, this could convert easily with a 2hp motor.
Problem is that in France cars have to be original, the red tape involved in electric conversions is horrendous.
There is the worry of have to do a crash test as well.
How do UK conversions cope with MOTs ? the french equivalent is a CT or Control Technique.
Thanks Barry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Barry,

I live in Spain and have run into the same bureaucratic brick wall here. Am considering doing my conversion and legalisation in Germany (by exporting and reimporting my donor car) but am not sure if even that will be possible without going through a number of expensive (and mostly pointless) tests once I bring it back into Spain, like "Checking suitability of the vehicle for conversion", etc.

It seems that southern Europe is not the ideal place for DIY conversions. But I'm not giving up just yet.

Regards
Peter

·
Registered
17 Posts
Super interesting, thanks for the link! I will contact them and find out more.

I am also in the process of investigating what the Spaniards will or won't accept from elsewhere in the EU, there has got to be some way of doing it.

Regards
Peter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Barry!
There is this French guy, Mark Areny who had the same problems when he tried to register his converted Porsche.
His solution was to go to Romania where he was able to register the cars and also opened a business in this field.
Here is a link to his web page (i see he also has a bureau in France): https://www.evromania.ro/contact/

Worth trying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts